Chapter 6 - When the Dragon Calls, There is No Choice But to Answer

By the time that Feng Yao had finally managed to walk out of the red-light, she realized one important piece of information.

I seem...to be lost.

She sighed, letting her eyes wander around aimlessly around the empty streets. The sun was just beginning to rise and coated the surroundings in a soft orange light. It looked like she was still in the Wei Kingdom although she had no idea how to get back home.

This must be what I get for napping while I was getting kidnapped...

Feng Yao slapped herself on the cheeks while mentally condemning herself to a life of stupidity.

Oh well. Guess I'll just keep walking. If push comes to solve, I can always try kidnapping someone for money...

Nah, let's scratch that idea. I have morals! I have self-respect! Unless I really don't have money. Then, maybe I'll try out that kidnapping idea...

Picking a completely random path, Feng Yao began to walk. As time passed, the streets slowly became more crowded as merchants woke up and began setting up. Servants were also already beginning to run around completing errands for their masters.

Feng Yao's thoughts turned back towards that man she'd met earlier at the Red-Lantern courtesan house. A cryptic smile appeared on her lips. She had no doubt that someone smart like him would understand what she'd been hinting at.

The Thousand-Year tea he'd been holding had been the same one she had attempted, but unfortunately failed, to taste that fateful day a few weeks ago. The whole reason why she had decided to enter that tea house instead of the others was because of such a beautifully sweet smell coming from inside.

Yes, that same sweet smell that was coming off of the Thousand-Year tea.

She let out a chuckle as she turned a street corner.

Sweetness also hides a dangerous poison.

The moment she smelled it weeks ago, she had already suspected that there was an addictive poison brewed in. Too bad she couldn't taste it then to confirm it. When she was finally able to smell it a second time at the Red-Lantern, she finally had her suspicion confirmed.

But thinking any further about that conspiracy wasn't something she was interested in.

I'll leave that to those secret investigators.

Suddenly, she felt her body collide with something. Looking up, she came face to face with a local guard. Although...there was something about him that looked familiar.

"My apologies to the Young Miss. I was preoccupied and failed to see you in time." He bowed slightly.

Feng Yao's eyes slightly narrowed as she began to remember where she'd seen him before. He was one of hidden guards at the tea-shop that one day. An imperial guard from the palace.

She quickly bowed and shook her head. Even though she wasn't dressed like a beggar at the moment, there was a small chance he could recognize her face.

"No apologies needed. If you'll excuse me, I'm in a bit of a hurry."

She smiled and tried to move, but he quickly stepped in front of her. When she stepped to the other side, he moved to block her again.

"Is there something else the matter, sir?" She furrowed her brows the same way that young respectable ladies did.

"I apologize again Young Miss. But could you happen to know a person called Feng Yao?" His gaze watched her intently, but her body language gave nothing away.