Arrival

"We're late, y'know" I sighed, stepping out of the car.
"Oh, I know" Damon grinned as he closed the car door, "completely worth it". He looked me up and down then, my red dress back on again, before smiling to himself.
"Agreed" I hummed, smirking slightly as I noticed where his eyes were.

I could picture the two of us, exhausted, collapsing on the bed at last, before realising where we were meant to be.
"Although, I cant imagine Stefan will be too happy with us".
"Screw Stefan" Damon snorted, "besides, he'll be on Elena duty tonight".
"True..." I sighed, thinking of Stefan's predicament.

His humanity was there. Stefan was there. I knew it. I just don't think he could admit it yet, not after everything he'd done. "I hope he'll be alright" I murmured.
"He will be" Damon nodded, squinting slightly, before turning to face me. "I think you get to him more than he puts on. I mean, he seems almost normal when he talks to you".
"He's getting there" I noted, pausing slightly. "We need him back, Damon, everything's just..." I exhaled heavily then, shaking my head slightly.
"I know" Damon said. He understood. Better than anyone. Behind all the snark, he just wanted his brother back.

"I really don't know why you wore heels tonight" Damon smirked then, looking down at my feet. A grin broke out on my face as I followed his gaze.
"To a ball? Of course I had to wear heels" I replied with a shrug.
"You can't walk in them though, see, look" Damon nodded as I tried to head towards the house. "Even the gravel's getting the better of you" he laughed. "Who knew that small bits of stone were an originals weakness, where was that info when we needed it?".
"Oh, shut up" I laughed, attempting to turn back around. Damon simply shook his head, laughing slightly, before holding out his arm with a roll of his eyes and a sigh.

It was then that music started playing inside, the two of us catching each other's gaze as I took his arm in mine. "Told you we'd get to do some dancing tonight" I smirked, looking up at Damon.
"dancing, hm?" He leaned in then, before grabbing my waist and lifting me up.
"Stop!" I Iaughed, grinning wildly as he spun me around, "Damon!" my feet kicked in the air, a smile spreading across his own face as my feet finally touched the ground again.

I could feel Damon's hands still on my waist. I could feel his fingers, exactly where they were. As if they were searing hot, burning into my skin, like wildfire.

His smile slowly faded, eyes becoming soft, strikingly warm in contrast to his cool blue gaze that I was so familiar with.
"What is it?" I finally ask, my laughter ceasing as he pushed my hair out of my eyes. "Why are you looking at me like that?".

"Grace..." he murmured, "I-"

"Where the hell have you two been?" Stefan's voice chimed in, voice hushed and urgent as we pulled apart. My face reddened then, realising just how late we were because of... well... what we were doing.

"We were..." Damon paused, a smile spreading across his lips as he caught me looking at him, "busy?" he continued uncertainly, turning back to his brother, who simply looked between us confusedly.
"Busy" I nodded, squeezing Damon's arm slightly, a grin still plastered on my face as I tried not to laugh.
"Busy? What could you possibly have-" Stefan asked as his brows knitted together with frustration, clearly unconvinced, before the realisation struck. "Oh" he paused, rolling his eyes with a sigh. "Don't answer that, please".

I snorted at that, causing Damon to glance at me again, his gaze softening as we laughed together. "Glad to see you two are having a good time, atleast" Stefan noted sarcastically. "Just don't piss off any more originals, Damon".
"Hey" Damon replied offendedly, causing me to sigh in frustration as I was dragged back to reality.

Stefan walked back into the party, leaving the two of us standing in the doorway.
"He's right, y'know" I groaned, "you're not exactly gaining favour with them by being with me".
"Pffft" Damon scoffed derisively, "I'm not trying to, the only original I wanna 'gain the favour of' is you" he smiled then, pulling me closer as we walked inside. "So no more frowning, 'cause we've got a hell of a night ahead of us", He sighed, "and something tells me a lot more bourbon will be needed to get through it". I laughed and shook my head at that, the last thing we both needed was alcohol.
"Are you sure you're okay, though?" I asked as we crossed the threshold.
"Are you kidding?" He grinned, "I'm fantastic, I'm walking in there with you on my arm". I looked up at him then, curiously, he was staring straight ahead as if his words were as casual as ever. "what more could I need?".