7.

(Y/N) walked out of the Great Hall. Usually students weren't allowed to be roaming during this time since it was getting dark. But since she was a prefect it seemed to not really bother anyone.

Walking up the steps, she didn't really know where she was supposed to go. She kept walking on instinct until she felt a tug on her robes.

"Oof!" She said, being pulled behind a set of curtains.

Draco stood there, holding her elbow.

"What are you doing?" (Y/N) pulled her elbow away.

"Why do you insist on staring at me every chance you get?" Draco spat, they stayed quiet as a shadow of a person passed in front of the curtains.

"Why did you give me those books?" She asked, finally. Draco licked his lips, putting his hands in his pockets.

"That doesn't have anything to do with you staring at me." Draco said, "It freaks me out."

(Y/N) shifted uncomfortably, heat rushing to her face, feeling as if she were on trial. "I never meant to make you uncomfortable. I just can't understand you."

"Nobody asked you to." Draco started to leave.

"You did when you gave me those books." (Y/N) stopped him, he came back.

"All that I meant to say with those books was 'Hey, you need these. I don't,' ok?" Draco tried to get it through her head, or more his own.

"But you do need them. What's your father going to say at the end of this year when he sees your grades are horrible and he paid all that money to this school for tha-" She started in on him, hoping to hit a nerve.

"I'll just borrow Pansy's, I know she'll give it to me. And I never asked my father to pay all that money. It's not my fault he wants the best for me and I wish people would stop thinking it is." Draco came off as whining defense of himself.

"Poor you, your family has money. Is that what you want me to say?" (Y/N) stopped him, she was always careful of what she said. But here she found it was more important to think about the point of the conversation, "I barely know you besides that you're an entitled prick. You don't know me. And none of that answers my question."

"I don't know." Draco said softly after a long silence, "I don't know."

He stayed quiet for a few seconds just letting the answer sink in. It did, but it didn't feel like enough. (Y/N) found herself wondering if this was the only time she'd ever heard him this quiet voluntarily.

"So what? Are you trying to be my friend now or-?" (Y/N) asked since she had him there.

"No. No way, are you kidding?" A look of disgust painted across Draco face, "Just pay attention to your books. Not to me... Haven't you brought enough shame on your family?"

This was the Draco she knew. Not hesitant. Rude. Harsh. Quick to judge.

"Excuse me?" Her voice shaking, only because nobody really knew her parents situation. At least she thought so.

"Yeah, thats right. I asked my Father about family. He was surprised to find out their daughter was a Gryffindor of all things, considering." Draco smugly replied. He knew he had the upper hand.

"Considering, what?" She forced him to finish.

"Considering their former close affiliation to the Dark Lord. In fact, he didn't know they had a daughter at all." Draco seemed to be attacking her.

"Ok — so? What are you wanting from this? I can't choose my house, I don't know why I'm in Gryffindor. And why does it even matter. Do you think this is blackmail? For what?" (Y/N) stepped back at the sudden turn in conversation.

"All I'm saying is in a pureblood family like yours, you should be more careful about the things you do, who you associate with. Everything you do effects your family's reputation. So you should be either keeping your head down or keeping it in line." Draco became serious.

"I don't need you to tell me that." (Y/N) frowned. She left through the curtains but hesitated. She wanted to say something so badly. She stuck her head back through the curtains to say: "And tell your father if you two talk about my family again to stick his cane up his arse."

Then she left to go back to the Great Hall to eat again. On the way there she decided she had had enough of him. Somewhere deep down she hoped he was hiding a heart of gold or something. But still he was rude and harsh and she thought threatened her family if she didn't stop staring at him? Ridiculous.

Something that came around her really fast was this confidence to stand up for herself. It had always been there but instead of saying things in her head, she could say things to people. But now she didn't know. How easy will it be to have another kid ask their parents about the (Y/L/N) because of their Gryffindor prefect daughter. And since the Dark Lord is back how long until she has to be involved to spy on Harry or Ron or worse, Hermione.

She couldn't wait to eat her emotions.

She sat back down at the Gryffindor table where she once was. Hermione looked at her but decided she would ask her dorm mate later. Instead (Y/N) was left to sit in her head. Thinking of what consequences might be impacting her family. Since Dumbledore announced it she knew it was true. The dark days she heard about were returning.

"(Y/N)?" Dean Thomas, the almighty crush sat across from her, crashing into the middle of the storm inside her head. She couldn't talk. She just sat there with her mouth open like an idiot. Her palms were all clammy. This was horrible. This sucked. She just stood up for herself against Draco Malfoy, an absolute twerp and reasonable for her to be afraid of. And now Dean Thomas comes who is just so sweet and now suddenly nothing comes out?

She panicked, put food in her mouth and smiled.

"Hi." Dean said, smiling back, "I was just thinking it was weird that I've known you for so long but I don't actually know you... uh, Have you celebrated being a prefect yet?"

(Y/N) shook her head no.

"No?! Haven't had any kind of celebration? That's a well accomplishment! Could I possibly have the honor of celebrating with you?" Dean said things that sounded confident but in his tone it sounded very rehearsed.

Her eyes grew wide and she put down the bread. "Where?"

"Dunno yet, but how bout I come knock on your door this Saturday? Maybe around 4?"

"Yeah! Yes. Yeah I'd like that lot." (Y/N) pulled her hair gently and held herself together.

"Cool, uh, l'll see you then." Dean laughed a little and then got up to go meet Seamus who stood in the entry way of the Great Hall.

(Y/N) followed him with her eyes in total shock and hope filling her eyes. She couldn't believe he had just asked her out. Did that really just happen?? She finished her bread and did a little dance with her shoulders looking back to her book when Seamus looked at her then back to them when the left.

Her eyes ended up landing on another person who happened to be leaning against the opposite side of the entry way talking to Crab and Goyle. Draco had watched the entire interaction including the ending celebration.

(Y/N) didn't need another talk like the one she had. So she gave him one last foul glare and then went back to her book. She could handle herself and handle her family.