XXXIX

-Stella Hart-

-Stella Hart-

"How have you been, Estelle?"

I was in McGonogal's office the next day, skipping lunch in favor for a cup of tea, nestled up on one of McGonogal's plush rose couches. The atmosphere was very different to the last time I was in her office, when I was busted for setting fire to the forbidden forest.

"Stella, please." I corrected her and she smiled at me over her teacup and dipped her head in apology.

"I've been good. Last week was great." I said earnestly. I wasn't embellishing either, the first week back had been perfect. So perfect it scared me.

"Good, I'm glad. And your Summer break?" She asked. My smile faltered.

I took a sip of tea to stall and McGonogal didn't miss it. Her brow scrunched in concern, but she waited patiently for me to speak.

"Manageble." I finally decided on and she pursed her lips.

"Are you sure?" She pressed and I let out a breathy laugh.

"Well I survived didn't I?"

She cocked her head.

"Life should be about more than just surviving, Stella." She said gently and my chest tightened.

"You survived the Dark Lord. You shouldn't have to go home and survive your parents too." She continued and I put my teacup down, my shaking hands unable to keep its steady.

"We could sit here and go on for hours about how unfair everything is. Voldemort, my parents, all of it. But it isn't going to change anything." I stated the fact plainly and while she didn't like it, she didn't argue so I went on.

"I'm happy here, really happy here. None of that matters now."

On that, McGonogal decided to speak up.

"But it can only last so long. Voldemort will come back and you will have to go home to your parents." She reminded me.

"Not after this year. when I graduate I can go anywhere I want and it won't be home to mummy and daddy. And Voldemort? Yeah, he'll come back, but if I spend my life living in fear of it, I won't be actually living." I told her.

Instead of a reluctant smile, I found that the smile she shared was more proud than anything and it loosened the tightness in my chest. But not all the way. Because I am a liar. I do believe that I shouldn't live my life in fear of Voldemort, I do. But it's hard not to hold an unmovable fear in the back of m mind after what I've been through.

"You continue to surprise me." She said a I rose to my feet.

"Well at least you'll never be bored." I offered and she chuckled heartily.