Chapter|| 28

note: we already had a mary, kade's gf is now marie.

A week later, Kade was making a slow but sure recovery, and we had even met his girlfriend Marie a few times. She was a sweet twenty year old girl who was unsure about having a baby so young, but had never even entertained the idea of giving it up.

Jace and I were laying on his couch when the phone call came.

He got up to answer the phone and dropped it from his hands almost immediately.

"Jace, are you okay?" I asked concerned.

He turned to me and shook his head slightly. "No." He muttered.

I picked up the phone and saw the caller ID, Dad.

"Oh my gosh." I said slowly, "Do you want to answer it?"

"Will you do it?" He asked nervously.

I clicked the answer button and held it up to my ear. There was a breath on the other line. "Jace?" A man asked.

"No, this is Lexi." I replied. "I'm his-"

"Are you another one of his hoes?" The man asked.

"No, I'm his girlfriend actually." I replied sharply.

"I'd watch what you're getting yourself into... my son's a bit crazy." He laughed excessively on the other line.

"Sir, are you drunk?" I asked him, baffled and angry at what he said about Jace.

"Figures." Jace said quietly.

"I want to talk to Jace." The man said.

"I don't think he wants to talk to you." I replied.

"Such an ungrateful bastard. Tell him I'm coming into town on Saturday, and I expect to see him at his game." The man said and hung up.

Shiiiiiiii..... how am I supposed to tell Jace?

"What'd he say?" Jace asked me in a quiet voice.

"That he's coming to your game on Saturday..." I said hesitantly.

"Oh." Jace replied.

His voice was quiet and sad, and I was worried that he was gonna start shutting himself down. There were markings of a frown etched into his mouth, but I could tell he was trying to stay positive on the outside. He was trying to put up a facade of being okay when he really wasn't.

"Well, let's just enjoy the rest of the day together." He said with a smile that was a bit too big to be real. I decided to humor him, and laid back against his chest as we continued our search for a television show to watch.

We were in the middle of an episode of The Office when I whispered, "You know I'll be at the game right?"

He just nodded and kissed me on the cheek.

~~~~~~~~~

I sat down at the lunch table next to Sebastian on Friday.

"How's Kade doing?" He asked with a hopeful smile.

"He's doing a lot better, and his girlfriend Marie is really nice, but I'm worried about Jace." I said.

"Why?" Sebastian asked frowning.

"His dad is coming back into town for the weekend, and I don't think that Jace is-" I began.

"Johnson alert." Sebastian whispered quickly, and I shut up.

Seconds later, Jace kissed me on the cheek and sat down beside me. "Hey Babe" he whispered and then looked to Sebastian with a nod "Where's Lily?"