Chapter 8: Shifted

A/N: I apologize for not updating soon, this was just sitting here and I never published it until now. Enjoy!
________________________

"Happy anniversary Marinette!" Tikki awoke her holder from her sleep as she was just opening her eyes to start the day.

"What do you mean Tikki?" She tiredly rubbed her eyes.

"You couldn't have forgotten," she giggled, "It's the 2 year anniversary of you being Ladybug!"

"Right!" She recalled. "Has it really been 2 years? It feels... longer."

"Funny to think that if you didn't do that small act of kindness you maybe wouldn't have been Ladybug."

2 years ago, things were very different.

She couldn't get over it that it was 2 years of heroics. There would been one final change for her to experience.

~~~

Adrien seemed much more himself, today at school. The pass few times something seemed off, and Marinette knew what it was. She finally knew what was wrong with him. But by his cheerful attitude today, something told her that something would happen later today, and she didn't mind that.

~~~

"Are you going out?" Tikki asked as Marinette kept eyeing her window at the night sky. "You want to, to see him."

"Should I?"

"You know my answer to that." She smiled.

"Why are you so persistent with it?"

"I just want you happy and he makes you happier then I ever could do."

She gave a light smile, thinking before commanding, "Spots on."

~~~

Paris lit up at night was a sight to behold. Ladybug looked at her yo-yo to see she had gotten a message from Chat, he had not done that in a year.

'Eiffel Tower, my lady'

It was so simple, yet so much could happen there. She made her way there spotting the landmark lite up on its beams. She dropped at the top platform where the railing was to look out onto the city below.

"M'lady." Ladybug heard him say. She heard footsteps as he approached.

"Kitty." She smiled.

He chuckled, "Haven't heard that in awhile."

"Things can change."

He appeared next to her, sharing the view with each other.

"Happy Anniversary." Chat said.

"2 years ago, weird to think that it was that long ago."

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

"Sorry for one year ago." His voice was sincere.

"Chat, you have nothing to be sorry for. It's just as much my fault, you were hurting and as your partner I should have been there but I wasn't." She seemed upset at herself. "You needed help and I didn't see it. If I spent more time to get to know you as a person rather then a teammate it could have been prevented."

"Y-You mean that?"

"More than ever!"

He smiled again looking at the view below and looked back towards her. "Do... do you think, if I were to be a hero again that Paris would welcome me back?"

"You were always a hero, and I you never know unless you try."

She could tell that he was unsure she continued, "Chat you were chosen to protect Paris, you still do. Out of everyone the Guardian of the Miraculous chose you. Remember years ago, I made a promise to Paris that Ladybug and Chat Noir would protect Paris we've kept that promise."

He gave a smile to her. "You know..." he stepped close to her, "I made a promise too."

"And what was that?" She looked into his bright emerald eyes.

Their faces were centimeters away from another. "That I would love the girl underneath the mask to matter what."

In that moment, their hearts override their mind. The increase of heartbeat and lips locking told the mood of the night. It didn't matter if they were at odds, they shared a special moment together.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that." Chat broke after the moment ended.

"I'd guess probably 2 years."

"Somewhere around there." He stated. "LB close your eyes."

"What?"

"Close them."

"Why?"

"Close your eyes."

She guessed what was about to happen, she would be doing the same to him. "Claws in." She heard the command, hearing the sound of the transform where off. "Ladybug." He spoke.

"Spots off." She instructed. She, carefully, opened her eyes to see Adrien now in front of her, only to see that his eyes where closed.

"Not opening my eyes until you tell me too." He's still loyal, even after all this time.

"Y-You can open them." She'd thought of the reveal, she didn't think this would be how would go. He slowly opened his eyes.

"Marinette?" He smiled.

She smiled, blushing, now noticing the tiny creature next to him, looking cat like. His kwami.

"Who knew how close we were to each other all this time."

"Yeah, funny." She agreed.

"Aren't you surprised?" His kwami asked her.

She shook her head. "Remember... how recently Chat payed Marinette a visit?"

"She figured it out then." Tikki said.

"Do you still love the girl under the mask?" Marinette questioned.

"How could I not? I love her even more!"

"Glad to know." She said while turning a shade of red. There was silence but not an awkward one. "I think Paris would like you back as a hero."

"Really?"

"You don't know unless you try. Plus I'm here for you." She grabbed his hand.

"Thanks." He cracked a smile sharing a kiss with her once again.

"Lovebirds." Plagg teased.

"Plagg, leave them alone and let them be happy." Tikki glared.

He said to Tikki quietly, "I know and if it's anyone who needs to be happy it's Adrien right now. But I think he's happier than I've ever seen him. He needs it more than ever."