Chapter 14

Tina was at the compressor changing tanks for refills when Jamey rounded the corner.

“Did you dream last night?” He tried to face her, but she turned away, tired of having people witness these moments. “I hope you’re keeping a dream journal,” he asked.

             “It’s on my desk.” She nodded in the direction of the shop’s back door. Too many dreams, too few hours of actual sleep had left her feeling only partly in this world. Every night after she woke from dreaming, she’d pace the floor, pour over maps of the coastline, wondering what had happened to Hank’s body.

            Jamey leaned on the doorway jamb, studying the calendar. “There might be a pattern to when you have the cavern dream.” He rubbed his chin. “If there is…” He showed her the paper. “Tonight is a possibility.” He smiled apologetically and Tina felt a momentary tug at her heart.

            His slightly askew smile was something she found endearing, as well as distracting.

            “I’d like to observe you dreaming tonight,” he continued. “What I’m looking for is a sign that you’re in REM and see if you talk in your sleep, move your legs and arms, that sort of thing. I’ll need to be in the same room as you.”

            “I don’t think I sleep-talk, or even sleep-walk.”

            “I have a theory, but let’s eliminate the talking and walking and make sure you’re in REM.”

            Somehow, his request made her uneasy. “It’s not like you haven’t seen me sleeping before,” she whispered, not making eye contact with him. This felt so intensely personal, letting Jamey into her bedroom while she slept. “I don’t know if I can fall asleep with you in the same room.”

            “You’ve slept with me in the same bed before.” He shrugged.

            Tina’s cheeks got hot.

            “Let’s try.” He seemed indifferent to what she was remembering. “And if tonight is another dream night, wouldn’t you want to make the effort?”

            She desperately wanted to put a name to what was happening. “Yes.” She did. “I’ll call when I close the shop and you can come over then.” She gulped at the thought that she’d just asked James Dunn to visit her at bedtime.

            “I’ll see you then.”

            Hank had seemed overly sophisticated for Maui when Tina first met him. Here was a man who’d lived all over the world, had a degree in art history and was semi-retired at the age of forty. He didn’t have much money and was happy about that. She’d heard through the gossip circles, that he was independently wealthy and had followed his Grace Kelly-like girlfriend to Maui. Her father owned art galleries on Front Street and she managed them from California.

            The night Tina met Hank at the Kapalua party, she’d just signed the papers to buy the dive shop and was feeling incredible. With every intention of making a success of her life on Maui, she’d celebrated her bravery by enjoying too many glasses of wine. Pepper told her to remain seated, drink some water and eat the plate of appetizers placed in front of her.

            From her poolside seat, Tina noticed an intriguing man across the expanse of the deep end. His lanky comfortableness drew her in.

            When Tina’s head cleared, she found herself in conversation with him.

            “What do you do, Tina?” He took a drink from his highball glass.