015

Sammy Walcott

I was exhausted.

I just needed a shower, food and a well deserved sleep. My whole body ached. Like a train ran over me.

I've been working nonstop since morning. Weekends are the worst, the only consolation I got was from the money stashed away in my bag. My pay. My legs found their way to Wong's, well the supermarket, I'm just calling it Wong's, she practically rules there so. Soon I was entering the store.

"Welcome, how may I help you?" Wilson drawled standing up with an ever boring face. He was standing at his mother's meat spot.

"Dude, you're supposed to smile to your customers, how are you here?"

He looked up surprised at my voice. "Boss." Then he sighed, "I was forced, my human rights completely disrespected."

I poked him, "You're already here. Do it right."

He smiled, "Yes boss. You're welcome, how may I help you?"

"I'm buying groceries, I'll help myself." I say moving to the cart section, I dropped by to greet his mum, although I'll be back, we'll need some meat at home too.

"Willy is that Sammy?" Mrs Wong's loud voice asked from God knows where, eliciting a groan from Wilson. I glared at him and he coughed, then smiled.

"Yes mum, its Sammy." He replied.

We could hear her feet against the tile and soon she was out here throwing her hands around me. "Sammy!"

I frowned but I wasn't annoyed as I usually was. Too tired. "Hey Mummy Wong." I mentally cringed at the name she forced me into calling her.

She smiled her hands going up to cup my face. I am way taller than her, she is a short woman. Even Wilson is taller than her. "Oh Sammy, you look so tired. How was work?"

"Stressful. But I'm fine Wong, really." I answered.

"Nonsense. Have you had anything to eat?" She asked and didn't wait for me to finish up, "Never mind, Willy, take up Sammy's list and get his things for him. Sammy come get burgers to fill your grumbling stomach."

Wilson's jaw hanged open as I came up with a list. I handed it to him. "Sorry man, in consolation, its not a long list."

Wilson sighed, "no problem boss, anything for you."

That was the last I heard before Mrs Wong dragged me off, pulling my along with her small frame that moved incredibly fast. I was treated to lovely ham and cheese burgers. And Wong even packed some for me to go give my mother. I thanked her really well and Wilson too before I packed up the bags and left.

While going home, I had to pass through the basketball Field. Normally, there were so some boys there playing but today there was only one boy sat on the rickety old bench. He was bouncing a basketball ball in his hands and staring at the floor in silence. I recognized the mop of dark hair immediately, I mean many guys had this type of hair but this one stood out for me.

Elijah.

My leg took a step forward prepared to continue moving and ignore him but my other leg stayed put. Why was he out here alone and is he really with a ball? He sucks! Before my head could think about it further, I was already taking a seat beside him.

Elijah looked up, his eyes surprised and gleaming as he saw me. "Sammy." But he didn't call my name with the usual excitement. "What are you doing here?"

I sighed relaxing into the bench, "Just passing by. What are doing here? With a ball? Someone can mistake you for a player."

That finally got his usual smile out of him. "Very funny. I practiced a little basketball back in Louise but I still suck. With nothing to do, I came here to practice again. Watched some guys play and now they are gone."

"Hmm and now?"

"I'm-- I'm. I don't really know. I'm just sitting here, waiting."

"For?" I prodded, my lips threatening to break into a smile.

He ran his hand through his hair, "I don't know okay? Everywhere, everything is just so boring-- without you."

I chuckled, "I know I know, I'm the bomb."

"You really are." He admitted then continued without waiting for my reply. "Where have you been? And why the hell don't I have your number?"

"Unlike you, I have a job and you didn't ask for my number. Also, if you were so bored, why didn't you hang out with your girlfriends." I asked curious.

He sighed collecting my phone, "I had people to hang out with, peeps from school too but nothing made sense without you. I don't have a girlfriend, girls are boring."

"You didn't think so last night and you weren't even drunk." I stated against my better judgement.

He looked, then smiled. "Were you jealous last night?"

"Ha, of course not. I was just pointing it out."

He scoffed, "Well I was jealous seeing you with Crystal. You left me for her."

"To get drinks dummy." I corrected smiling now.

"Oh. Wow." He chuckled. "Well, just know I'll rather be with you, my best friend, than any other girl. Any day. Drunk or not."

He stared at me. I stared at him too. His brown eyes looked sincere, I could stare at it all day. Who knew brown could be so beautiful. I blinked, breaking my chain of thoughts. I could feel my stomach doing a weird flap, the feeling was eerily similar to the 'butterflies in the stomach' crap that novels talked about. What the hell? I reached for the burgers in my bag, maybe I'm still hungry.

"You're a Clingy best friend. I should get rid of you." I said grabbing two burgers.

"Sammy did you just admit I'm your best friend?" Elijah asked eye wide.

"Uh...No?"

He gasped, "Sammy--"

I stuffed the burger into his mouth before he could say any other thing. "Eat and stop talking crap."

The look on his face made me burst out laughing and I was so sure that he was going to lash out out on me but instead he just smiled and bite out of the Burger.

"What?" I asked knowing he wanted to say something.

"Nothing." He said still smiling.

"Spit it, Elijah."

"You'd think its sappy."

Hmm, I was still curious so... "Talk."

He looked at me, smiled and looked straight ahead.

"You're fucking beautiful when you laugh."

I coughed, his words and my leaping heart catching me off guard.

"Too sappy?"

"Definitely."

But I don't mind.

--------------------------