Chapter 25

A/N: It’s Xander’s birthday today! 23/6 :) Go to Tumblr to check out this cute lil’ chat I made~

Chapter 25: Beauty, Fear, and Hopes.

Chip’s POV

What should I do? D-Distract Ace?

But wouldn’t that seem suspicious?

I sighed in defeat.

“What’s wrong?” Ace asked as we rounded the bend, just a few minutes away from home.

“N-Nothing…”

The taller figure shrugged, and didn’t seem to probe any further.

We entered the bakery with the sound of jingling bells, and we were greeted with an immediate: “Welcome to the Honeycutt’s Bakery! How may I help you?”

I stared at my shoes, speechless, as Rose came over with a cheery tone.

“My my, is this your friend, Chip?”

“U-Um…”

Ace glanced between Rose and I, a puzzled expression on his face as he replied tentatively. “I um…yeah, I’m Chip’s friend, Ace. Nice to meet you…is Chip a regular customer?”

Rose’s gaze shifted to mine—and I looked away.

And a horrible sense of guilt clutched my chest.

“Chip? Oh no, he’s—well, he’s my adorable younger brother!” My sister smiled like the sun.

No! Don’t say that with such a smile—not when I’m such a horrible brother, not when I can’t even tell Ace that you’re my sister.

What am I doing? 

“Oh! Now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance,” Ace chuckled, turning to Rose with an equally bright smile.

My sister laughed and asked what it was that Ace needed.

“My Mom told me that you guys had awesome pumpkin bread, so uh—here I am,” He scratched the back of his head sheepishly.

“Sure! I’ll be—“

“I’ll go get them!” I interrupted rudely, dashing into the kitchen towards the bread ovens.

I was just afraid to see the expression on Ace’s face.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Here you go, young man,” Rose handed the nicely-wrapped loaves of pumpkin bread to Ace, and he placed the money on the counter.

“Thanks! So…uh…I’ll be going, Chip!” Ace waved at me as I stood beside the kitchen door timidly.

“Ah—Wait!” Dragging our new customer out of the bakery, I searched his eyes for any sign of mock or scorn.

There was none.

“Y-You aren’t…going to mock me..? Or say something mean?”

Ace looked genuinely shocked. “What? Why would I?”

“W-Well, I work in a family-run bakery and we’re barely making it, and people say that…well, baking is for girls? I-I don’t know…I overthink a lot, haha…” I laughed sheepishly.