Chapter Eighteen

A cloud of smoke surrounds Sensei as he pops into existence, summoned by the scrolls his team carried. A closed eyed smile already on his face, he prepared himself to greet his team. "You pas-- what the hell?"

Shun was sitting slumped on the floor, holding Fuzen and Daisuke to him, their heads lolling on his shoulder. "Help," He gasped.

Sensei grabbed Daisuke and Fuzen so they were both half flung over his shoulder as he hurried out of the room and towards the medical wing. He burst through the doors with Shun trailing close behind. "I need help here!" He shouted, causing several medics to turn towards him in surprise. Fuzen and Daisuke were taken from him and lain on their respective beds, and the medic nins quickly went to work.

"What happened to them?" Sensei turned to Shun, only to see his eyes roll back in his head and watch him collapse. Shun was quickly transferred to another bed while Sensei watched helplessly.

"Well, shit," Sensei muttered, running a hand through his hair as he stared at his three unmoving students.

***

The first thing I was aware of when I opened my eyes was the pounding headache I had. I glance around the room with bleary eyes, almost immediately seeing Sensei, wwho was standing by my bed.

"Nice to have you back with us," He grinned.

"Nice to be back," I mumbled, sitting up slowly. Sensei handed me a glass of water and I downed it quickly.

"Now we're just waiting for Daisuke to wake up," Sensei said.

I sat up a little straighter, feeling more alert. I see Shun and grin. "Hey," I greet.

"Hey," he replies.

"Why are you in the hospital?" I ask.

"Standard procedure. I fainted," He explained.

"Oh. Wait, why am I in here?"

"Chakra exhaustion," Sensei speaks up. "And Daisuke was bitten by something poisonous. He should be awake soon."

"How long have we been here?" I question.

"Only about an hour and a half," Sensei told me, "Shun woke up after ten minutes, and we've just been waiting on you two."

"What did you do while waiting?" I wondered.

"Well, we were waiting for Daisuke and you to wake up before you all recount your story, so we ended up playing chess," Sensei grinned.

"Chess?"

"Like shogi, but better," Shun explained.

"Shun here is pretty good," Sensei praised.

"Me? You hadn't heard about the game an hour ago and now you're beating me in ten moves," Shun gripes, "It's pretty ridiculous."

We fall silent as Daisuke groans slightly. Sensei smirks mischievously, then moved closer to Daisuke. When Daisuke opens his eyes, the first thing he sees is Sensei's eyes staring straight into his, only a matter of centemeters away.

"Ah! Crap!" He shouted, startled. We all crack up laughing.

"Daisuke?" I start, then realize he'd fallen back asleep.

"Did... did he just fall back asleep?" Shun asked, flabbergasted.

Sensei poked his cheek slightly, and only got muffled words in response. "Daisuke. Hey, Daisuke," Sensei whispered.

"What?"

"Hey, I'm so sorry. Something went wrong in the Forest and they had to remove your body. You're just a head now," Sensei had all the right emotions down, perfectly faking his story while Shun and I struggled to suppress our laughter.