Chapter 13- Get Ready

Days had passed since Varian and (y/n) 'a friendship had been brought back together. It was now late fall and almost time for the expo. Varian grinned as he wrote down the last formula for his invention. He sighed in relief and released his hand from his quill, shaking his hand as it ached from writing so much. (Y/n) sat in a chair next to him and read over it before giving him a thumbs up. Varian smiled and kicked back in his chair. He yawned and began to stare at (y/n). He smiles, 'she really is beautiful,' he thought to himself before she met his eye and he quickly looked away. (Y/n) blinked confused before smiling sincere, "do you want something to eat? I can make you something." Varian blinked and shook his head, "no, no. I can make something myself." He began to slowly get up before cringing from aching. (Y/n) sat him back down and laughed, "I insist I make something. You deserve it anyways." Varian grinned big and stared to the side blushing heavily, "s-sure." (Y/n) walked upstairs to make him  a sandwich. As she began getting what she needed, she overhead quirin in the room next to her. She heard more than one voice so she knew something was up. She put her ear against the door and listened carefully for them. Then, Quirin broke the silence, "That girl he's been hanging out with...she might be apart of the-" BANG! An explosion sounded from outside. (Y/n) freaked and began acting like she was just making a sandwich and hadn't heard them. Quirin and the people with him jumped up and walked out to investigate. As they ran to the front door, they saw her and glared nervously before running out. (Y/n) stared after them curious but hurt. They were talking about her behind her back. That wasn't right. She finished making the sandwich and brought it down to varian. She slumped into a chair and twiddled her fingers. Varian began eating before noticing something was wrong, "what's wrong (y/n)?" (Y/n) sighed and rolled her eyes before turning away from him in her chair. He frowned and looked down hurt. She didn't know what they were keeping from her, but it couldn't be good. Sighing, she got up and walked to a nearby window. She rested her arms and stared out, taking in the scenery. Varian appeared beside you and shifted his eyes nervously, "are you okay?" (Y/n) slowly turned to Varian and locked eyes with him. After a few seconds she looked down calmly, "I think your dad is hiding something from me." Varian kept staring at her, "why do you say that?" (Y/n) murmured so softly Varian could hardly even hear her, "he was talking about me with other people and when they saw me..they just glared." Varian poked your nose and chuckled, "don't worry about it. What they say doesn't matter. When I see you, I see a cute-I mean smart young lady!" He nervously laughed and held his head. (Y/n) blushed and laughed before tapping her chin, "hmm, when I see you, I see a handsome intelligent alchemist." Varian blushed and grinned widely. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds before Varian cleared his throat, "My invention for tomorrow's expo is done, wanna see?" (Y/n) nodded, "of course!"