Journeying

"Who is it?" someone sang from inside. The voice wasn't very pretty, but it was female.

Definitely not Viltus. Had he moved? Or maybe he was "boarding" someone else. Her stomach twisted. He certainly moved on quickly.

"I said who is it?" The door swung open, and a gap-toothed smile greeted her. "Well, look who's come to visit!"

"Garma?" Not the woman she'd been expecting. "Why are you here?"

She plopped her spidery-fingered fists on her hips, the loose flab underneath her arms jiggling. "I'm helping Viltus pack."

"Whatever for?"

She sucked in a breath and spat a lump of phlegm into the dirt. "I'm a good neighbor—that's why. Not that you ever thought I was."

"No, no. I didn't mean that. Why is he packing?"

"Why don't you ask him yourself?" Garma's eyes zipped up and down Elon before she glanced over her shoulder. "Viltus! Carissa's here—and she's towing along a mighty fine looking man, if I do say so myself."

Carissa clapped a hand to her suddenly warm forehead. Of all the people to answer the door.

Someone snorted within the house. "You can tell her and her mighty fine looking man to go back to the whorehouse from whence they came."

Garma turned back towards them. "He says—"

"I heard him just fine, thank you." She inhaled slowly, then exhaled before facing Elon. "I think I made a mistake in coming here."

He returned her gaze unwaveringly. "You didn't."

She shook her head. "How can you say that?"

"Likely, it has something to do with my Foresight." He grinned before casting a glance at the darkened house. "While I can't say I approve of your previous taste in men—"

She suppressed a cringe.

"—if you need time to talk to him, I understand."

Carissa shrugged. "We'll see if he's ready to talk." She shouted, loud enough for Viltus to hear, "I have an offer for you."

He shouted back, "I'm sure in the past few days, you've made many offers to many men."

Heat surged through her blood, until her arms quivered. "Grow up, Viltus. Or better yet, man up and come here to talk to me, face-to-face. Unless you'd more comfortable hiding behind Garma's skirt."

Garma smoothed a hand over the clothing article in question, obviously pleased she'd been mentioned.

The floorboards creaked beneath his heavy footsteps. Viltus nudged aside Garma, faced Carissa, and his entire face went slack, his wide eyes skimming her. "You look... significantly better than when I last saw you."

She snorted. Flattering.

His gaze moved a bit slower now, and a hint of fondness flickered in his eyes. "Forgive my poor wording, but I'm quite sincere. You look lovely."

Elon cleared his throat. "I believe I'll leave you two to discuss the proposition Carissa has in mind. Carissa love, should you need me, I'll be just around the corner."

Carissa turned towards him. "Thank—"

Elon's kiss sent of ripple of shock across her skin. Typically, he was rather cautious when administering physical affection. His lips moved from hers to peck her cheek then to slide along the length of her neck, nearly touching her shoulder.