hilarious author's note + 8. Can You Afford It?

e i g h t

"HELLO, MILADY," SIMON SAYS WITH an elaborate bow as I open the door. Despite my inner turmoil, I can't help but laugh. Something about this happy person seems so contagious and unnatural. How could I not want this?

"Shall we go, kind sir?" I ask, playing along.

"Indeed we shall!" He says triumphantly, putting his arm out for me to hold. I reluctantly take it and smile at him. He smiles back and we walk into the elevator. "So, we're going to this fancy restaurant."

"Can you afford it?" I ask skeptically.

"Well, I may just be a doorman, but I get a lot of big tips," he says with a chuckle. "Must be my charming personality."

"I can't even deny that," I say after a moment's pause.

Conversation flows easily between us as we start driving to the "fancy restaurant." We talk about everything from aardvarks to zucchinis. There's never a single awkward silence. It's almost as if I was talking with Kara during college: Nothing is complicated. The only difference is that it is complicated.

We walk inside the surprisingly fancy restaurant. I wouldn't even be able to afford this place, frankly. As I marvel at the fine dining options on the menu, Simon chuckles.

"Money is no qualm," he says.

"It is to my conscience!" I reply. "This place is pricey as fuck."

"I have quite a lot of savings," he admits.

"You better still be able to retire after this meal," I retort with a chuckle.

"Don't worry. This was strictly my fancy food savings," he responds before we both burst into laughter.

We hadn't quite recovered from our laughs when the same annoying voice squealed again, "Oh my god! Amber! You're here! With the doorman."

"Yes, I am," I reply curtly, knowing who else would be here with her.

"You should come to mine and Jonah's table!" she says, pulling me up.

"Are you fine with it?" I ask Simon hesitantly.

"The more the merrier!" he exclaims, throwing his hands up in excitement. Why do some people have to be so nice?! Especially at this time. Ya know, sometimes someone wants alone time. This is one of those times to be honest. I don't really want to be here, fun as it was a few seconds ago.

"Who--oh hi," Jonah says stiltedly when he sees me and Simon being dragged by Lavender.

"I invited them!" she says joyfully.

"And they agreed?" Jonah asks, his gaze fixed on me.

"Yeah, the more the merrier. Right?" I reply with fake enthusiasm. I know the smile on my face is fake but gotta sell the lie, right?

"Yup!" Simon says, clearly not noticing the tension at the table.

"Besides, I wasn't sure if they could pay for it," I overhear Lavender whisper in Jonah's ear. He doesn't respond.

"Actually, we can," I hiss across the table to Lavender.

"What?" she asks with fake innocence. Deciding to push away the topic, I simply say, "Nothing."

[]

The night continued with ranging awkwardness, none of which was detected by Lavender or Simon. Therefore, conversation was never at a dangerously low lull. Sure, there were times of silence, but only because we were eating.

We all go back to the building in the same car.

"Thanks for joining us!" Jonah says with fake enthusiasm, much like I did earlier in the night. "It was great. I had a great time. You're great!" he starts babbling before Lavender puts her hand on his shoulder to shut him up.

"I agree," Lavender simply says. They quickly walk to the elevator and go to their penthouse.

"It really was fun," I admit. "Except for the them part."

"Like minds think alike! But they weren't that bad," Simon replies. "Just not my favorite part of the evening."

"Agreed, mine was the part about how little money you have in your bank account," I reply with a chuckle.

He simply rolls his eyes but joins me in my laugh. I truly meant it. It was a pretty good night. It'll probably happen again and I'm... fine with that. I need to get my mind off of things. Especially with the tour coming up in a few weeks. I need to get all that sorted out before I'm shoved on a bus with them.

"Goodnight," I reply, pecking him on the cheek and walking away.

"Farewell, milady," he says before he leaves.

"Farewell, my good sir," I call after him. I'm still laughing as the elevator doors open. A smile is still lighting my face when I reach my door and I'm about to put my key in. Happy thoughts still float my head when a familiar, glum voice asks, "Had fun?" In fact, it was the same one I had heard multiple times earlier that evening. It was the voice I dreaded to hear. It was the voice I wish the elevator doors had shut out.

Always plugged! Although seriously, I'm really weird.

Anyways, if you liked this chapter, vote and comment! Sorry for the cliffhanger, I couldn't resist

Anyways, if you liked this chapter, vote and comment! Sorry for the cliffhanger, I couldn't resist. I'll try to update soon though!!!

Thanks for reading! Sorry for not updating too much. School. But hey, 2 more months of school left!!! God, that's depressing. xD

Go follow me on Insta /skycatcherseavey

Check out my other wdw stories!!!!!!!!!!

Q. What do you think will happen next?