1

and this is how it starts...

MADISON

"matty's coming back"
i sat down next to my best friend chloe on the bus as she gushed to me, practically bouncing up and down on her seat.
"what?" i took one of my earbuds out, the music dimming slightly and i dumped my school bag inbetween my feet.
"he's moving back to our school, maddy" she beamed at me, her eyebrows wiggling before she looked behind us where george was sitting with adam and ross.

"isn't that right, george?" chloe batted her eyelashes at him, interrupting his conversation about girls with the others.
"huh?" his brows furrowed slightly before he figured what she was rambling about. "oh- yeah" he mumbled quickly before going back to laughing with adam and ross.

chloe turned back to me, her eyebrows raised as she waited for my reaction- hoping for me to be as excited as her.
"so?" she sighed at my reply, flopping back in her seat as the bus rattled around a corner. she took her phone from her blazer pocket, ready to show me something.
"so... he's hot" she leaned on me as she brought up a picture of matty now.

it was a photo from george's instagram, showing matty with a few other guys. i had to admit that he looked a lot better than the last time i'd seen him, his familiar cute smile and jawline. i couldn't let myself get excited though- whatever happened between me and matty ended for a reason, and it couldn't happen again.

the bus came to a stop a couple of blocks away from our school and we all filed off, mumbling thanks to the driver although he was a miserable fucker.

me and chloe walked behind the group of boys as georgia and her boyfriend seb trailed behind. chloe pulled out her box of cigarettes, offering me one.
"you're a legend" i took one out of the box and lit it with my lighter, impulsively slowing down so we'd have more time to smoke before getting to the gates.

"how was your weekend then, moody maddy?" chloe inhaled from her cigarette, looking to me.
"alright... wayne came back from work yesterday" i shifted my bag up my shoulder, it had been okay at home whilst he'd been working away.
"you alright?" chloe knew how i felt about my mum's boyfriend but i didn't like talking about it too much.
"yeah" i mumbled, flicking the ash off the end of my fag. "how was yours?"

"it was okay. i saw dad" chloe's parents were divorced and her dad was pretty rich, we'd had a few parties at his house. i hummed and nodded before stopping to finish the cigarette and we both dropped them on the floor, walking to the school gates.

alex, my boyfriend, was waiting at the gate- his uniform neat as he stood there.
"morning, baby" he leaned down to kiss me, being slightly taller than me. "haven't been smoking, i hope?" we started walking towards the school building. he didn't like me smoking, thought it was chloe that got me into it.
"sorry" i mumbled, laughing awkwardly and i could practically feel the eye roll that chloe was bound to be doing as she walked on the other side of me.

"you're late" mrs sharps walked to her computer as me and chloe slipped into our english class, sitting with the boys. "break detention" she sat down in front of her computer, probably adding us to her detention list as we sighed, we never went anyway.

"do you girls get off in the toilets before classes or something?" george whispered, sniggering with the others. "you're always late" chloe giggled at his joke, playing with her hair as i sighed, leaning back in my chair.