Chapter Twelve: The Truth about My Blood

“Hi, Melanie!”

            I turned to the direction of the voice that called my name. I grinned broadly as I waved at Roxanne. “Hey, Roxanne!”

            She smiled one last time then carried her tray to sit with Garret on their usual table at the far side of the cafeteria. I turned back to Jasper and Amanda. I noticed that they were both looking at me questioningly.

            I shrugged at them. “What?”

            Amanda pointed her index finger to me. “Roxanne Fox talked to you. She actually talked to you.”

            “Uh… okay…?”

            Jasper cocked an eyebrow. “Since when did you and her got into first name basis? And have you actually met?”

            I bit my lip, realizing my mistake. “Um… remember when you dropped me at the grocery before I… uh, disappeared? Well, she was there and we got to know each other,” I lied smoothly. What else have I got to say, really?”

            Amanda seemed to buy this since she suddenly gushed, “Oh my God! Was Garret with her? Did you talk to him? Are you in a first name basis, too? Could you introduce me to him?”

            I laughed at Amanda’s eagerness. “Slow down, Amanda,” I said. “No, Garret wasn’t there. Only Roxanne.”

            I glanced at Jasper and noticed that he looked unconvinced about me meeting Roxanne in the grocery. He folded his arms across his chest. “I’m not convinced,” he said, stating the obvious.

            I patted his arm gently. “Believe what you want to believe, my friend.”

            “Has she got something to do about your sudden disappearance?”

            “Of course not. Why would she kidnap me?”

            And with that, he sighed in a defeated way and I flashed him a triumphant smile. As if on cue, the bell rang, signaling for lunch to be over. Amanda and Jasper stood up in the same time.

            “I better go to Algebra. See you later guys,” Amanda said, waving her hand to me and Jasper.

            “Yeah, see you later,” I muttered as I wiped my mouth with a table napkin.

            After Amanda was gone, I was still sitting on my seat, moving slowly as a snail. Jasper sighed sharply. “Why are you moving so slowly, Melanie?” he complained. “We’re going to be late in Biology.”

            “I’m not feeling well.”

            With that, he placed his finger below my chin and motioned me to look at him. When I did and locked eyes with him, he frowned. “You look okay to me.”

            I sighed. “I own this body, not you. So stop acting as if you know it.”

            He grinned and leaned closer to me. When our lips touched, he whispered ever-so quietly, “Oh, maybe someday I’ll own your body.”

            I slapped his arm playfully. “Shut up, you pervert.”

            He laughed as I stood up. Then he slung his arm around my shoulder. We made our way to the Biology room as he began talking about random things. But I wasn’t listening to him. Instead, I was thinking about Jasper’s kisses.