Chapter 126: Valuable Knowledge + More ??s

I woke up next on someone's lap. I had curled up there like a cat, although I was a slightly larger cat, and was basking in the sun. It felt so nice, being in my usual place with Sherfire...I wanted to sleep more.

But the scent of the lap I was on, it was different.

I bolted up from where I was, looking instantly towards the one that had held me complacently, stroking my head and massaging my ears. Oh, that'd felt heavenly, but still...

"Why is she here?"

"She's your mother. Why wouldn't she be?" Sherfire answered. I was off to the side, having dashed away, looking at the two who sat side by side.

"Firea..." Mother muttered, looking at me with lowered eyelids.

"Again, I ask, why is she here?" I was slowly backing up, eyeing every Dragon there warily. They were lazily watching me or just sleeping, not trying to pay attention to the drama that may go down over here.

"I came to apologize for...everything," Anastasia clasped her hands tightly in her lap, looking down there instead of at me. I wasn't glaring, nor did I exude any hate, but rather indifference. It seemed to be killing her, the look on my face-or at least, what look you could infer to be on my face. You couldn't express many other emotions on a Dragon's face than rage, hunger, and sleep. If you smiled, you looked like you were going to devour someone. I'd scared many people here because of that, which led to me learning that Dragons don't smile when they are in that form. "Earl and I-"

"Save it," I snapped unintentionally, backing up even more. "I've seen everything I needed."

"Firea!" Sherfire exclaimed, shocked when I suddenly stepped off the cliff. I knew it was there and was quite grateful for it.

Instinctually, I didn't know how, but I started flying. I didn't even think about it since flying was normal for me, and it only felt slightly different with wings.

My wingspan was just longer than an owl's as I soared down below, swooping between trees and flying past a bunch of sparring people. They always did that at this time of day, so a lot of people were watching as I twirled over and shot up. A few cheered, seeing that I was already beginning to master it after dive bombing out of the cave.

"Go Fir!"

It sounded more like "Go Fear!" than my name this time...I'm not its representative, so please no.

I turned and went north, circling around the mountain and heading over it. I was going home.

"Firea, wait!" I heard Sherfire chasing after me as she caught up quickly, her wingspan far larger than mine as she blocked me from the sun. "Why'd you take off like that?!"

I didn't answer. I didn't need to, since my emotions were easily shared as a Dragon.

Numb. I was numb inside again, unfeeling. I didn't want to feel anything, was trying to keep my mind clear.

No, I wasn't secretly going to break into tears or anything, I wasn't sad. I wasn't angry.

I just didn't want to deal with a done subject. We've been over this before, so why rattle the skeletons in the closet? I arranged them perfectly.

Mother was not my mother. Mother was Anastasia de Libellule, and the only surviving connection we had besides the Fang tribe was Hera, Adri, Chord, and Anthem.

Since I didn't want Sherfire to know where my base was, I took off down below while cutting off my presence. It worked far better than before, like I was growing into the "Dragon" thing.