Chapter Ten

Irisa
When I get downstairs the next morning, my father says "Your detention was canceled. The principal sees no point in you or Matt going with Mr. Tanner being dead."
"Oh." I say, and my father looks towards the living room. "What's going on?" I ask him, and strain to hear, knowing something must be going on. A familiar voice, talking extremely low, resounds off the walls in the living room, talking to my mother.
"Well, the Donovan girl took off last night, Irisa. Levi is here. Apparently Sheriff Forbes wants you in for questioning." Dad says, and I rush towards the living room. Levi smiles when he sees me, monumentally ignoring my mother to give me his full attention. My mother stops talking, and looks over at me, as if surprised to see me standing there, so silently that she hadn't heard me appear.
"Oh, Irisa, dear. You need to go get the questioning out of the way. Mr. de Grèves said he'd take you since your brother already left and your father just got back." Mom says, looking over at Levi with a smile.
"Mr. de Grèves, huh?" I smirk, and roll my eyes. "You're okay with Levi taking me?" I ask and my father clears his throat, as he'd just walked into the room.
"Only if there's no reason I shouldn't trust you," My father tells Levi, eyeing him carefully.
"No, sir. You can trust me." Levi says, and my father looks over at me.
I nod. "I'll be fine, daddy." I tell him, and he nods as well, obvious knowing that I can take care of myself.
"Alright." He says, glancing over at Levi again. "Afterwards, maybe you can make sure she eats something?" He asks Levi, obviously concerned.
"Of course, sir." Levi tells my father. "Irisa?" I nod, grabbing my jacket from the coat hook. Levi helps me put it on, says goodbye to my parents, and we walk outside. My eyes fall on a sleek black Charger, and I glance over at Levi surprise. "I went home last night and got it. Figured it would be smart to have a way to drive you around."
"It's beautiful." I lightly run my hand over the body of the car.
Levi smiles, and opens the door for me. I get in and Levi zips around to the drivers side, getting in as well.
"So, Elena, Damon and Stefan really suck, Irisa. And not in the ironic, vampire way." Levi says, starting the car.
"What did they do?" I grit my teeth and demand.
"Elena had Damon compel Jeremy to forget Vicki's death, and Stefan just let them." Levi says quietly as he drives.
"No!" I shriek and Levi nods.
"I know. I was with you, remember?" Levi says. "Or, I would have stopped them." He sighs. "I want you to tell Sheriff Forbes that Vicki left, but never told you where she was going. They can't know that Vicki became a vampire. Not now. Everyone else already lied to the sheriff."
"What about Matt?" I ask, my voice quiet.
"I'm sorry. He can't know, Irisa." Levi says, glancing over at me.

"But... That's his sister!" I exclaim. "He has to know, Levi!"
"Irisa, Damon hates Matt for three reasons already." Levi starts, and I narrow my eyes. "He'd kill Matt before letting him know the truth."
"Three reasons?" I ask, surprised. What the hell does Damon have against Matt? He doesn't even know him. But I recieve a nod, and I ask, "What three reasons?"
"He's a stereotpical, blonde jock." Levi says, holding up one finger, then holds up another as he lists the reasons for me. "Elena Gilbert dated him, and Damon already is interested in her because she looks exactly like Katherine, though the girl knows nothing about that, and..." He stos, holding up a third finger.
"And?" I prompt, my voice quiet.
"You like Matt." Levi says, his green eyes holding a hint of sadness, but not for Damon. No, It's because Levi likes me. I look away. "Damon is obsessed with you, Irisa. He percieves Matt as a threat, an obstacle, and if Matt starts asking questions, demanding answers, Damon might feel it necessary to eliminate him."
"No!" I shout, and Levi grabs my hand.
"I'm not going to let anything happen to him, nor to you, Irisa. But you need to keep the information about Vicki's death and her becoming a vampire a secret. Matt cannot know about his sister. It's best if he thinks she ran away." Levi tells me, instantly trying to calm me. I feel something strange, and glare at him.
"You are trying to compel me!" I exclaim.
"No, I'm trying to see what you're thinking." Levi whispers, and I let out a deep breath, startled. "Listen to me, Irisa. I wouldn't try to compel you anymore, not without your permission. But to make sure you're alright, yes, I'd do something like this. I didn't think you'd be upset about it though." He pulls his hand from mine, and focuses his attention on the road.
"I'm sorry." I whisper. "I thought you were trying to compel me. I felt... Power."
"Of course you did. You're psychic, Irisa. I guess I should have just asked you if you're okay." Levi admits, "I should have known you'd fight back. It's what you do."
"I didn't know, I'm sorry." I tell him as he pulls up at the police station. "Levi, please don't be mad at me, I swear, I didn't kn-"
"Shh." He turns to me, lightly cupping my face between his hands. Without compulsion, I silence myself, relaxing at his gentle touch. "I'm not mad. I feel like an idiot. I upset you, and I didn't mean to, Irisa. I promise you, I will try to be more cautious next time." I shake my head.
"No, no. Levi. Don't-" I start, but he cuts me off again.
"I promise, everything I do will be to keep you safe and happy and I'll try to keep my distance as well." Levi says, but he doesn't let go of me. His hands remain on my face, and I realize I don't want him to pull away.
"Levi, I don't want you to keep your distance." I whisper. "Anyways, you told my father you'd take me to get breakfast after this." I say with a pouty face.
Levi's lips twitch, as if he's holding back a smile. "You are just too adorable for your own good, Irisa."
"If you go back on a promise to my father, he'll make sure you pay."I remind him. "He's the mayor, after all."
"You think that threat does you any good, darling?" Levi teases me, then lightly presses his lips to mine. The kiss steals my breath away, leaving me light headed, but I return the kiss with one of my own, but not one as gentle as his. This surprises him, and he gasps as the intensity and passion I put into the kiss. I smile, but I feel only tender pressure of his lips on mine, and I can hardly bear the sweet, gentleness of it. When we both pull away, he whispers, "You're better at this then you look."
"Oh, does my age make me seem inexperienced?" I tease him back, and Levi chuckles. "I only kissed Matt the first time the night you got me drunk, so you have only yourself to blame if I'm getting better at this."
"Right." Levi agrees, and trails a finger across my jaw. "But, I must stop it now. It's certainly not right for me to keep doing this. You were right about your age, Irisa. Not to mention, we're in front of the police station, so I could probably get into trouble for this. I'd hate for your father to hear of this and not trust me."
"Forget my father." I kiss his cheek, giggling.
"I honestly wish I could, Irisa. But I have to keep you safe, you know. So really, please. Stop." His hands lightly take mine, shoving me back into my own seat before getting out. I sigh, opening my door. Levi takes my hand, helping me out of the Charger.
---
20 minutes later, and several anxiety attacks after, I walk out of the police station nearly in tears, and Levi pulls me into his arms, hugging me tightly.
"I know." He says. "It doesn't get any easier."
"I don't like lying." I look up at him. He nods.
"Come on." He says. "Let's go get you something to eat, then get the paperwork signed, alright?" I nod, pulling out of his arms. But, I have the phantom itch on the back of my neck, indicating we're not alone, that we're being watched, and I rush to his car, feeling a bit sick to my stomach. Once inside, Levi starts the car, and asks me, "Is something wrong?"
"I have a weird feeling we're being watched." I turn in my seat, peering around for any watching eyes, but I don't see any.
"Don't do that here." Levi whispers. "We are at a police station. Don't act like there's anything suspicious going on, because then they'll want to keep you for more than just questioning, Irisa."
I huff, and clip my seat belt. "I can't help it. Who could be watching us? Who?"
"No one." Levi shakes his head. "You're fine, Irisa."
"Okay, first of all, you said I'm psychic. Second of all, I'm not fine. I feel sick. Someone is watching us."
Levi's eyes widen in surprise, realizing I must be right. "Let's get out of here." He says, and drives towards the Mystic Grill.
"Um, could we go somewhere else?" I ask him. "I don't really want-"
"To have a run in with Matt?" Levi smiles, and nods. "Alright. But it'll have to be somewhere that doesn't serve alcohol because you're definitely not being served this time."
"Mhmm." I roll my eyes. "You think that I couldn't have gotten that bourbon on my own if I really wanted it, Levi?"
"No, because the bartender really wanted that ID. Which you don't have." Levi reminds me teasingly.
"Screw you." I mutter, then say quickly, "No, I swear, I wasn't offering tha-"
"Gosh, Irisa. Calm down. I know you weren't." Levi says, patting my hand. "Don't confuse me with Damon." His eyes are on the road, but his hand stays on my hand as he drives. I carefully lace my fingers through his. "But... You didn't confuse me with Damon. You were just making it obvious that don't actually want that."
I thought I did. With Matt. I don't let my thoughts leave my lips though. Instead I just shrug. "I made the mistake of admitting to Damon that I'm a virgin, Levi. I've done a lot of stupid stuff in the past year, including almost having sex with Jeremy." I say quietly.
"I, um, I know about that." Levi admits, and I look at him sharply.
"What?" I demand.
"Well, Elena was discussing her brothers' drug use with Stefan, and your name came up." Levi explains. "Jeremy stopped it, Elena says?"
"Elena hates me." I remind him. "Whatever she called me, she better hope it wasn't too bad or she's in for it."
"She didn't call you anything, Irisa. She just said that you both were messing around, and things got out of hand. I know that's how your wrist got broke. I know that's why you left town over summer, and you know I was looking out for you for a while when you were in California, but you probably don't realize that it was because of me that Jeremy stopped it." Levi says, pulling onto the highway.
I feel all of the air get knocked out of me.
"What?" I repeat, gasping.
"I didn't want that to happen, so I stopped it." Levi's hand leaves mine, and grips the steering wheel tightly. "I gave him a little nudge in the right direction, though, unfortunately, it seems he's made a lot of bad choices since then despite my influence. He wasn't meant to hurt you, though. I suppose it was because of the drugs."
"You stopped us...?" This boggles my mind.
"Yes." Levi says, heading for an exit. "Look, Irisa. I know that it was wrong of me to influence your friend, but admit it. You weren't ready for that. Just like you're not ready with Matt. You have a ways to go before that time comes. Hopefully you'll wait until you're absolutely ready to make that decision."
I'm quiet as he drives through the small town, heading for a small diner. But when he pulls into the parking lot, I whisper, "Thank you."
Levi glances over at me, his hands still gripping the steering wheel. "You don't have to thank me. That's not why I did what I did. I have always done what was necessary to protect you, from the very first moment I saw you, Irisa. I do not take your safety lightly, though that's not to say I don't trust Matt with you. He actually seems to care about you, Irisa, which is what you need in this cruel, unforgiving world. Not to mention, he's human." Levi shrugs. "Much as you might want to be a part of the supernatural world, you are still a part of the human world. You need human friends, human loves. You need a normal, human life outside of the one you're living now. Because I know you're not just going to walk away now that you've met me."
I shake my head. "You're right, Levi. I'm not going to walk away. Anyways, being human is overrated. You already told me I'm not human." I get out of the car, and Levi joins me and we walk into the diner.
-----