Chapter 22: Suddenly Startled

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction"

•••

"Jason?"

I stirred a little, but didn't open my eyes.

"Jason..."

I groaned. I wasn't ready to wake up.

"Hey, Lovett!"

My eyes sprung open and I sat straight up like my back was spring-loaded. "HUH??"

I heard a sudden smack, and instantly saw stars as I felt like I had been punched in the face.

"OWWW!!!" Della yelped in pain and flipped backwards out of my face. Half a second later, I heard a thud around the other side of the bed. She had rolled off into the floor.

"What the heck, Della?" I choked, leaping up from my place in the floor and running around to check on her. My eyes watered. "You scared the actual crap outta me!"

I winced as a knot started forming in between my eyes where Della and I had bashed heads together. I could feel it throbbing like a drum.

"Sorry!" she squeaked, holding her own head in her hands. "I was just checking to make sure you were still alive. You been asleep forever."

I rolled my eyes, grimacing as the extra expression sent pain though my face. "It's not like I went to sleep around 3am or anything..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah..." she muttered, trying to pull herself up and failing. Her elbows were still shaky like they were the night before.

"Hey, easy," I advised, reaching down to steady her to her feet. Thankfully, she accepted my help and didn't argue, which is what I would have expected.

Once she was up, with an exhale of exhaustion, she sat down onto the bed. In the daylight, the comforter spread across it looked even more suspicious than it had in the wee hours of the morning. I managed to hide my disgusted frown the best I could.

When a beat had passed, I squatted down in front of Della, lowering myself so I could look her in the eyes. "How are you feeling?"

Della shrugged. "After that hit in the face? Oh, I feel stellar." A lump slowly appeared on her face, mirroring my own. We looked ridiculous.

I snorted. "Seriously."

"Better, I guess," she shrugged. "I mean, I haven't puked today."

She tugged at a lock of her hair. It was then that I noticed that it was unusually damp and stringy. When she caught me staring confusedly, she quickly offered an explanation.

 When she caught me staring confusedly, she quickly offered an explanation

"I showered just before you woke up."

"Oh," I responded stupidly.

Of course, idiot...