16

I could die from doing this, that's the thing, I don't know what's going to happen. I stood by the edge of the cliff, the window blowing around us as I looked down at the water below. Admittedly, it wasn't death-bringing high, but I'm sure how shallow the water is either. Brennan stood beside me, her hair blowing wildly in the air as her hand wrapped around mine.

"We can do this, Daniel," she informed and even though she tried to hold a carefree mask, I could tell she was just as shaken as I was. Her grasp only tightened, a reassuring squeeze before she let out a breath and faced me. "You ready?"

"To die? Not really," I muttered. "But I guess it's now or never." She nodded, taking in another deep breath before facing forward, not down at the water.

"I'll count to three and we jump, okay?" She asked, but when I didn't respond she gave my hand another squeeze. "Okay?"

"Okay," I managed to let out.

"1... 2... 3!" With that, the two of us jogged to the edge before jumping off and letting the air wrap around us, hands still intertwined as we submerged into the water. Eyes closed and grip loosened, we sunk into the cool water for a good second before the both of us resurfaced. Surprisingly enough, the water was deep enough for us to land in the water safely. My heart was practically running a marathon within my chest as I released the breath I was holding, a smile appearing on my face as I moved around to keep afloat. Brennan's hair was all over her face as we moved around from across one another, relieved smiles on our faces.

"We survived!" She exclaimed, going under to move her hair from her face. "I can't believe we survived."

"That was fun!" I exclaimed.

"Do it again?" My smile immediately dropped.

"No." She laughed at that before we both swam to land and headed back to the spot. I grabbed a towel from my bag, sitting by the edge of the cliff, letting my feet dangle from it.

"Shit," I heard her mumble from behind me. I turn to see that she was looking through her bag, coming up with nothing.

"What's wrong?"

"I forgot my towel," she stated.

"Here, we can share," I gestured at the one around my shoulder. The words left my mouth almost naturally, without a second thought and I found myself taken aback with what I said.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, we're both skinny, so it'll fit the two of us," I stated, not letting my words process once again. She only chuckled, walking towards me and sitting besides me. I reached over, placing one side of my towel on the other side of her so the two of us sat beneath it. It only took a few seconds until I realized what was happening. Our thighs touched, our shoulders touched and we were practically sharing each other's warmth.

To say that I panicked a bit would be an understatement, but despite my heart practically beating right out of my chest, I stayed put. Count heavy breathing and sweaty palms if you will.

"You know," Brennan spoke up, breaking the silence, "this is the most I've felt comfortable with a guy other than family."

I chuckled, "This is the most I've felt comfortable with a girl in general." She let out a small laugh before she turned her head towards me, her eyes looking up at me.

"I'm really glad you decided to stay," she said, her voice almost inaudible that if I wasn't so close to her, I wouldn't be able to hear her. The tone she had laced around her words caused my chest to tighten, as if there was some sort of hidden message beneath them.

"I'm glad too," I said back, the corner of my lip quirking up. She smiled back at me, her eyes seeming to grow a little bigger with each second that passed and I found myself leaning down towards her, our lips slowly closing the space between them. I was going to kiss her, I was finally going to kiss a girl.

With barely a centimeter between us, the one thing that could've ruined it happened. My phone rang.

Our eyes that had fluttered close during the process had opened, before we both abruptly moved away from one another, heat rushing to our cheeks. "I-I'm going to, uh, get that," I stammered.

"Y-yeah, I'm going to, uh, check that tree out," she blurted, handing me back my towel before speed-walking towards a nearby tree. I furrowed my brows at her statement, turning to face her to see her gently hitting her forehead on the trunk, causing a small smile to appear. I found my phone still in my bag, only to see an unknown number appear on my screen.

I answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Daniel? This is your mom's friend, Jordan," the woman behind the call informed, "I'm with your mom right now."

"Yeah, she mentioned she'd be out with friends," I told her.

"But Daniel, your mom... she's been admitted to the hospital."   

I'M SORRY FOR THE LAST PART but also not because this is a work of fiction and irl, i love and hope Keri has a healthy life along with her family :)

BY THE WAY guys, i've already finished writing all the drafts for the book so i can tell you that the book will be ending on chapter 25. like legit ending, idk if i'll have an epilogue cuz it just ends, but if you guys want i'll do the same thing i did for HTL where i write bonus chapters

that is all. dont forget to vote, comment and share. ilysm :)x