17

Admitted to the hospital? Why would my mom be in the hospital?

"What?" I asked, not able to grasp onto what she was explaining.

"She drank a bit too much when we were having brunch, and wasn't doing well—we tried stop her but I guess she was having a hard day because it's the anniversary of your father's death—" Her words continued to go on, but my main focus were on those last few words. Today's the 19th of November, Dad died today three years ago.

He died and I forgot about it.

"I'm- I'll be on my way," I told her, not caring if she was done talking. I hung up, tossing my phone to my bag and ran my fingers through my hair frustratedly, pulling at the ends, clear guilt written all over my face.

"Daniel, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Brennan approached me, her hands reaching up to hold my face so my eyes would meet hers. I didn't notice that tears were openly falling from my eyes until she mentioned it.

"C-can you please drive me to the hospital?" I pleaded. Wordlessly, she nodded, concern still written around her face as we gathered our things and headed back towards her car. I pulled my shirt back on, and sat quietly in the passenger's seat, my legs shaking at the thought of my mom breaking down like that.

How could I forget? This date has been practically embedded into my brain since it had happened, so why did I forget? Was I too caught in the moment?

"It's going to be okay," Brennan spoke up, reaching out to hold my shaking hand, placing our hands on my lap. She didn't know why I was crying, but she's still comforting me. I'm not one to show my most vulnerable moments in front of people, so this was a first and I didn't know how to react. All I know is that the feeling of her hand around mine calmed me down a bit.

I unlocked my phone, seeing the screen light up before noticing that my mom had left me a voice mail and my blood ran cold. The time was probably around when I was in the water. I frowned at the sight before putting it to my ear to listen.

"Daniel, I know you're out with Brennan but I'm here—" a hiccup sounded from the call, she had already gotten drunk. "Your dad died today three years ago, did you remember? I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't happy you forgot—I wish I forgot, but then I saw a cute couple with their baby boy in the restaurant and lost it, but don't worry, your mom's not a light-weight, she can handle her—" I then heard a few scoldings from other people around her before the call ended.

"I'm such an idiot," I muttered, removing my hand from her hold and covering my face with them. If I had answered my mom's call, maybe she'd calm down a bit.

"We're here," Brennan spoke up, her tone gentle and cautious. I looked up to see the hospital. I was scared if I had to be honest. I think Brennan noticed this as she reached out and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'll go in with you."

"Thank you," I uttered before the two of us climbed out and we entered the building.

"You stay here, I'll ask the nurse where your mom is," she stated and I nodded, my eyes wandering around the place. I watched the two talk and noticed the looks of familiarity between them, as the receptionist had a warm smile on her face. They exchanged a few words before her eyes glanced past Brennan and to me, and Brennan turned around, gesturing for me to go to her.

"This is her son," she stated.

"Ah, your mother was admitted ten minutes ago, and she's in room 102, just down the hall," the receptionist explained.

"Uh... can I ask what caused her to be admitted?"

She nodded, glancing at the screen before explaining, "She had consumed a large amount of alcohol in a short time, and had fainted not long after—she's been diagnosed with alcohol poisoning." My heart dropped at the information, my knees feeling as I tried to hold myself up. "But don't worry, since she was treated fairly quickly, she'll be alright—she'll have to stay in the hospital for a few nights before she can be released."

"Oh thank God," I muttered, releasing a sigh of relief before I fell into Brennan's arms, her arms wrapping around my waist.

"Can he see her?"

"Yes, but she was given anesthetics, so she might be asleep at the moment."

"Thank you," I said to her before Brennan sent her a smile and we headed towards the room my mom was in. I pulled the door open and I wasn't prepared to see what was behind it.

Most days, we see our mothers as someone that's strong and wouldn't let anything get to them. Right now, my mother looked absolutely broken. Her skin seemed paler than usual, a mask over her face as she was connected to an oxygen machine and an intravenous drip connected to her arm. In most cases of alcohol poisoning, victims don't need to be admitted to the hospital unless it's necessary.

My mom was really broken and I wasn't there to be with her.

That entire thought had broken me completely and I had to step out of the room, tears rushing down my face as I tried to block out the aching sobs. I failed as a son at that moment, I knew that this will always be a something to haunt me. I had forgotten my dad had passed away today, my mom was left alone with me and was in a vulnerable state—anything involving a happy couple would've triggered, and I was stupid enough to forget.

"I'm so stupid," I muttered to myself, "I'm so fucking stupid."

"Daniel," Brennan's voice echoed in my ears but I could barely hear her.

"I shouldn't have left her, I should've been with her," I whimpered, my entire body shaking as I tried to catch my breath, only choking on the bile in my throat. She didn't say anything, but she reached forward, wrapping her arms around me as I continued to cry on her shoulders. This was what I needed at the moment, I only needed comfort, not words of pity or an apology. 

random fact: i tend to get this idea and write probably like the first chapter and abandon it

random fact: i tend to get this idea and write probably like the first chapter and abandon it. i mean, c'mon, look at this file titled 'wattpad drafts'

there are a few that have similar plots, like misconception which was what i had originally titled How To Love, but it wasn't a fanfiction and also slightly confusing

there are a few that have similar plots, like misconception which was what i had originally titled How To Love, but it wasn't a fanfiction and also slightly confusing. the ones i covered the names are secret, and quite embarrassing cuz they all only have one to two chapters. 

if you guys are interested--i guess they could be considered prompts, i could write a brief description on them in my 'sweet thoughts' book.. that is if you guys want. majority could be good ideas for books, but writer's block is a bitch and holding me back from doing so. so let me know if you guys want inspo :)x