Chapter 26 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Chapter 26
Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Marcus' eyes are glowing blue and I'm not fucking kidding. My jaw is literally hanging down, mouth wide open, as I stare at him and his friends. My head feels like it's going to explode. I have seen a lot today. Those wolves... it feels like they have come for a purpose. I don't know why I know. I just do. But these guys, I know they have the answers because clearly, they aren't normal humans. No, there is something sinister about them. And now, I'm seeing Marcus' eyes glowing blue, so blue that it matches the color of the ocean. They are deep and terrifying yet so fucking beautiful.

My heart hammers in my chest, ringing in my ears. I'm hoping that my mind is just playing tricks on me, creating images based on a fantasy I have read or seen somewhere in the internet. I pinch myself, slap my cheeks, and bite my bottom lip hard just to make sure this is a dream. But after doing those things, I very much realize that this is reality and this is all happening right in front of me. I also realize that I've been holding my breath, so I let it all out and take a step back. Marcus senses the movements and his blue eyes turn from them to me, and for a moment, they flicker back to their normal state for a second before going back to blue. Even though his eyes are like that, and even though I know he's not a human at all, I still think that he's the same easygoing, friendly, handsome Marcus that I met back in school. And that's what terrifies me, that's what scares me, because I really don't know if I should just run to save my life or run towards him and hug him tight.

This is ridiculous. I wish this is only a dream.

But no matter what, no matter how many times I wish it to be, it's not going to change anything. I'm in this mess now, and that's because of Marcus and Blaine. I blame them, and they should fucking know it. Marcus sees the scared look in my eyes, and the way I'm looking at him. These people around us are still screaming, demanding for some sort of explanation as if Marcus and his friends have done really something bad. Maybe they have. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Blaine stays by my side, and I just see that his arm is around my shoulder, looking like he's protecting me from these abnormal people. His jaw is clenched and his other hand is in a fist as he glares hard right at them. I shrug off his arm and he looks at me. I momentarily take a step back, because this is all terrifying to me. Those wolves that attacked us in the school, I know they weren't regular wolves.

My head is going to explode.

The people are closing in on us, and each step they take, I take a step backwards. Marcus and his friends growl out loud and everybody stops, even me. Clearly they have the authority here, and nobody dares question that. It's pretty obvious. My knees buckle, and Blaine uses his arms to support me and helps me stand up properly. I manage to say thanks underneath my breath, but I doubt he heard it. I suddenly feel tired and exhausted. Too much has happened today, and the headache I have is not helping me but adding more to my stress. Soon enough, I know that I'm falling on the ground completely while everyone runs towards me. I shut my eyes, finally darkness greeting me as I fall. But then someone grabs me, big arms wrapping around me. My eyes open just a bit, but the face is a blurry. But I damn well know the eyes, because it's so fucking beautiful, and it's the most beautiful eyes that I've ever seen.

A hand is clasping my mine. When my eyes start to flutter open, stars dance in front of me and I feel dizzy but I manage to collect myself. I use my other arm as a support, propping myself up. The hand that is holding mine is from Marcus, and suddenly everything goes back inside my head. The wolves, the screams, Marcus' glowing blue eyes, and the people around me. At the same time, Marcus is beginning to wake up. When his eyes meet mine, it widens and then relief comes. He immediately jumps forward and hugs me tight, his stubble tickling my neck and I resist the urge to giggle.

Letting go of me, his hands rest on my shoulders as he stares deep into my eyes. In his beautiful eyes, worry and fear pool in it and I wish to take it away. He's very sad, and it looks like he's going to cry in any minute.

"Marcus... what happened back there?" I finally ask him, moving backwards. He seems hurt by my actions, and seeing him get hurt hurts me, too. But I need to know the truth. Everything scares me now. I don't want to say I'm scared of Marcus, but it feels like it. I'm not really sure. "Please tell me the truth. Those wolves, the people here, they are different. I'm scared... I'm scared, Marcus."

"We are werewolves," Marcus says, his tone serious. At first I wait for him to say that he's kidding, because that's really a funny joke, but I don't need jokes right now. "I'm a werewolf, Nigel. I... I only came there in your school because you were there... you're my mate."

"Mate?" I rack my brain for any other meaning because I'm really confused. But there's only one meaning that makes sense. "No, it's not possible, no. Marcus... you've got to be fucking kidding me. This is some joke! I'm... I... I want to get out of here! I want to go home, please." I'm having a panic attack and this is the first time this happened.

"Please... listen to me," Marcus says as tears stream down his beautiful face. I'm momentarily stunned and it fucking hurts me to see him like this. "Please..." But I need to go home. He's a fucking werewolf for fuck's sake, and he could kill me. He could fucking kill me. This is some paranormal shit, and this isn't really normal. I can't... I can't think straight right now. I can't even look at him in the eye.

I'm honestly afraid of him now.

Without giving it a second thought, I yank my hand away from him, jump out of bed and decide to get away from him as far as possible. Marcus tries to follow me, but I just glare at him hard. The tears don't stop streaming down his face, and it hurts. I feel like something has been smashed on me, like my heart has been stomped on.

"Nigel..." he croaks, clasping his hands as if he's begging me to stay and understand.

His whole figure is quivering as he tries to get near me. But... I just can't be near him. I can't be around him, knowing that he's a fucking werewolf that is capable of killing anyone. I shake my head at him and it's like his whole world collapsed.

"I can't, Marcus..." I finally say, still shaking my head. "I can't be your mate. I can't... I can't be with you. I'm sorry. I'm... I'm not your mate. I'm human, and you're something else that I can't even understand. I... you are... you're a freak! I need... I need someone like Julia, not like you." Then I run as fast as I can, leaving him behind as he cries his heart out.

Everybody looks at me as I make my way past them. I have even seen Marcus' friends, who are about to stop me but Marcus' voice stops them. It even hurts just to hear how broken he is, how much he's hurting. And it's all my fault. Marcus has been nothing but nice to me and he did a lot of things for me. But why can't I just fucking accept that he's different and actually likes me?

Tears burn my eyes. I just want to go over there and hug him tight, but the fear is there. The fact that he's some supernatural being hurts my head and goddamnit, I hate this.

"But Marcus!" his friend shouts, his arm pointing on my direction.

"Just... let him go," Marcus sounds so defeated and helpless and broken and fuck, it's all my fault. It's all my fucking fault. "He needs... Julia and not me. My mate has denied me. I... I just want him to be happy." Then they all shout Marcus' name, and I hear a loud thud. I shut my eyes, take a deep breathe, and toughen up myself.

Everyone parts, making a way for me and I take that as an opportunity to escape. I don't want to spend any more time here, in this place. I don't want to see Marcus around, openly hurt because of me. Tears streak down my face, and they won't stop coming out of my eyes. I wish I could have been prepared for this. Maybe I wasn't being prepared because no human would think that this was a possible shit to happen. Still, I wish I could have watched more of those sci-fi movies and series about werewolves because maybe, just maybe, I would have been given at least an idea about how this all works. But I clearly don't know what's happening and how to understand this.

Closing my eyes, I keep running, sweat and tears running down my face. I wish for this to end. I wish I hadn't met Marcus. I wish I hadn't known he's a werewolf. I wish he was a human and not a werewolf. Because... because maybe, maybe we'd work out. We would look good together.

Maybe. Just maybe.