Chapter 4

Please click on the star ⭐ button below your screen. Enjoy reading and share❤❤

Kara’s POV

*
          “Can you please make it snappy?” The woman snarled from the entrance, her smoldering gaze burning into my every move as I tended to Marian.

“Yes ma’am.” I replied her with an eye roll, adjusting Marian’s legs in his stockings. In his bubbly mood, he battered on about what only he understood, uncaring of all the issues in the world — not that he had one. His drool stained my shirt but that was the least of my worries as I quickly tended to him.

He giggled and moved the rattle over my face when I wore him his other shoe, so I laughed and ducked my head to a side so he wouldn’t hit me with it. Marian was a chubby four months old boy and the son of British parents who were staying here in Italy as ambassadors of their country. They were living in a reserved estate at Castellammare Del Golfo, quite close to my Uni.

I was helping Adrian take care of him in replacement as his stay-in nanny till she gets back from her visit to her boyfriend’s place.

Marian shook his head, prompting the oil on his blonde hair to rub on my arm and through grey sparkling orbs which was identical to his mom’s, I realized he was inviting me for a play. He was a bubbly baby.

He also never cried like some babies — just slept —except when he wanted something and I refused him.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if someone told me I would love a baby like I did with him. Babies burped and it just nauseated me to no end but for some weird reason, I tolerated it all when it came to Marian. Someone cleared their throat just as I was combing his soft blonde hair.

Mrs. Duckling fixed me a pointed stare, “I am supposed to be at an important meeting with my husband and my secretary is already blowing my phone with calls.”

“I’m almost done, ma’am.”

“Well, make it damn snappy. My husband and I don’t have all day.” she snapped.

Like so many, she didn’t know how to fuss over a baby but behind those eyes somewhere, I knew she cared for her son. Her expression softened whenever she carried him in her hands, yet the life of a business woman seemed really hard for her.

I passed the boy to his mother and stretched out his baby carrier to her but after she faced me with a stern expression, I wordlessly carried it downstairs and into their car before they drove off.

So many would keep their babies at home with the help but Mrs. Duckling would never do that. Marian was a cute boy anyway, and Mrs. Duckling usually went out with a ‘help’ just to make sure she flaunted Marian’s beauty to the world even while on business trips. I wouldn’t blame her one bit because Marian definitely inherited his father’s good looking genes.

When I got back into my room or rather, Adrian’s room, I immediately called her, ranting her ears off about her boss’s ill behavior.

“I can relate but I promise I’ll be back before you know it.” Adrian assured me for the umpteenth time, reminding me that she was totally grateful for my help.

“Oh, I’m doing this just for you. Hope you find a replacement soon because I wouldn’t like to snap at your so-called boss. Moreover, you don’t really need the extra income since your brother gives you everything you need.” I complained.