~23~

Edited

  "Love means giving chance when there's no more chance left to give."  

~~~~~~~~~~~

|Present|

I lay on my bed with my back against the head-board. I was trying to read but for some reason I just couldn't concentrate. My mind kept drifting off. Things in my life were getting too complicated.

How could things have gotten so messed up in such little time?

My mother was dead.

My father was marrying my ex-bully's sister who'd told me that my mother had given consent for their marriage.

I couldn't make any sense out of Megan's emails.

And Hunter. . .

I couldn't even begin to understand what was going on with him. A few short weeks ago I'd been sure I hated him but now I didn't know what to think. My brain kept warning me, telling me to stay away from him, that he'd hurt me again.

Hell, I knew  I should stay away from him. I knew that I shouldn't let him in, not after what he'd done. 

But the problem was, I couldn't. Every time I tried to distance myself from him I winded up getting  closer to him somehow. I couldn't stop thinking about him. 

He dominated my thoughts, my dreams, my emotions. 

A tap on my balcony door pulled me out of my thoughts.

Shit. I forgot to lock the doors.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw something move. I could feel myself start to panic. I slowly made my way towards the balcony, my heart thudding wildly.

I screamed as the door suddenly flew open. A huge body crashed into mine. Large hands covered my mouth muffling my screams. Fear clawed my insides.

"Shhh. It's okay." A deep voice breathed in my ear.

What the-?

Hunter?

I managed to calm down a little.

He finally let go of me and stumbled back.

"Hunter?! What the hell are you doing here?" I demanded.

He just looked at me with amusement before finally shrugging his shoulders.

"Don't know." He slurred. 

He stumbled over his feet, almost toppling to the ground but caught himself just in time. 

My eyes widened in shock. "Oh my God! Are you. . . drunk?

He tilted his head and gave me a lopsided grin. His messy hair flopped over his eyes. He chuckled as he started swaying on his feet again and I quickly grabbed on to his waist to steady him.

Guess that answers my question.

I sighed and led him to the bed.

"What am I supposed to do now?" I asked him in exasperation. He just continued to look at me.

Suddenly he started pulling his shirt over his head and I yelped.

"W-what are you doing?" I stuttered in shock.

He gave me a confused look. "I can't sleep with a shirt on."

"You're not sleeping here." I snapped.

My cheeks started to heat up. I knew I was getting flustered.

His whole face fell when I said that but he nodded. He shakily got to his feet and started to stagger towards the balcony door.

He hadn't put his shirt back on and my eyes lingered on his well sculpted back, his muscles flexed as he moved. 

He stumbled over his feet and I groaned in frustration.

"Wait!" I finally called out.

He paused.

"You're drunk. You can't climb down the balcony in this state. You could get hurt."

And I can't make him use the front door, dad's in the living room he'll definitely see him.

I gave him a pointed look. "You can stay here. For a while. Till you sober up."

His lips twisted into a smirk.

I sat down on my bed muttering curses. The mattress dipped as he sat down beside me.

I swallowed.

Why does he have to be so damn attractive?

Damn him!

I couldn't help myself. My eyes drank in his well defined body. I took in his lean muscled frame, the veins running along his arm, his prominent abs.

He leaned forward and his nose skimmed against my neck.

Breathe Scarlett.

"You smell nice." He murmured as he blinked up at me.

I had to swallow and look away from him.

I cleared my throat and scooted back so there was more space between us.

I had to focus on something else. Anything.

I studied the tattoos scattered over his torso, my eyes locked on the one on his chest. It was right over the place his heart was beating. 

Each letter carved beautifully in black ink;

"Everyone left." I whispered the words aloud.

My hand lifted up involuntarily, my fingers tracing the letters on his skin.

I heard his sharp intake of breath.

My eyes locked with his and I could feel myself growing lightheaded from the mere intensity behind his gaze.

I could see so many different emotions on his face.

Pain. Fear. . . Longing.

"I feel so alone. All the time." He whispered softly.

I could feel my heart clenching at his words.

It was the first time I was seeing him like this. Broken. Vulnerable.

I gasped when I felt his arms curled around my waist. He pulled me to him. Our chests pressed against each other. He sighed softly. His head nuzzled into the crook of my neck.

Slowly, I bought my arms around him. I closed my eyes trying to fight back my tears.

"Make the pain go away." He whispered.

"How?" I whispered back.

"Stay." He murmured just as his eyes fluttered close. 

~~~~~~~~~~~