Chapter Ten "Farewell But Not Goodbye"

The next day was unkind in many ways; heavy grey clouds gave way to rain that seemed would never stop and even time played coy games with me.  I'm sure that my restless sleep had an effect on me as well as knowing that Percival's departure was looming in the near future, but there were minutes that hung, frozen when it seemed an eternity would pass before the clock ticked again, and others where an hour would evaporate and I found it difficult to account for my time. 

            Patience cancelled any plans that had her going out of the house for fear that the rain would ruin her hair or her dress.  That led me to study her, something I haven't done in many years, and aside from her disposition, she was as lovely as always.  Her ebony locks framed her delicate face, and there was a multitude of curls at the base of her long neck.  Her large eyes, dark as sepia, were not as happy as they once had been, but there were still a twinkle in their depths.  Somewhere during my appreciation I heard a giggle and it made me think of my niece, Isabella.  She had definitely inherited her mother's good looks, all except her smile . . . that was definitely Freddie's mischievous grin.

            The rain continued to patter against the windows so I fetched my sketchbook and pencils, planning to amuse myself somehow, and sat in a corner of the parlor where I had as much light as possible.  Patience and Faith were busy discussing upcoming social events, but as they sat together I noticed their similarities as well as their differences in their countenances.  Faith's face was slightly rounder than Patience's and her skin was a hint lighter, just like their mother's.  She had the same sepia colored eyes with long lashes, but her hair was lighter, an almost chocolate brown, and it did not curl as easily.  The differences aside, they were both beauties.

            I danced  my pencils across the blank page of my sketchbook and tried my best to capture the grace of my unwitting models.  I did not do portraits often but it felt like it would be a  crime not to use such an opportunity.

            Every few moments I would cast a glance in Percival's direction as he was reading in the opposite corner, trying to see where his looks fit into the family resemblance.  His hair was somewhere in between his sisters, similar in color to Faith's but with a slight curl like Patience's.  He had strong features and from what I can remember bore a striking parallel to his father, although he too had his mother's sepia eyes.  Overall the Stanhopes were one of the handsomest families I had ever met.

            I continued my sketching, trying not to be obviously disturbed when my models would move now and then and throw off my original posing.  I was doing my best to salvage my drawing from a flawed stroke of my pencil when a shadow overcast me, "Would it help if I made them sit still?" Percival said in a loud whisper.  It was loud enough to catch both Patience's and Faith's ears, as they turned to us I felt my cheeks redden.

            "You have captured them quite well," he went on leaning over my shoulder.  "Should I be hurt that I was not included?" he asked in a whisper.  I was glad that I had already blushed because I knew that comment would have furthered my embarrassment and most likely caught Patience's eye if she noticed him whispering.

            "Are you drawing us?" Faith asked excitedly coming to join us, "May I see?"  She plucked my sketchbook from my hands without waiting for an answer and went back to her sister, "Look, Patience, you were right, she can sketch quite well . . . "  Whatever else she said I did not hear, my attention was rapt by Percival and the tender touch he placed just below the locket chain on my neck.  I wasn't sure if he had meant to do that or not, as he walked away from me to join his sisters as they studied my drawing.  I felt flushed and breathless in the moment and quickly retreated to my room.