⥈ PROLOGUE: born from shadows ⥈

« PROLOGUE: born from shadows »

The knife slid against her open palm and she barely winced as it broke through her skin and drew blood

The knife slid against her open palm and she barely winced as it broke through her skin and drew blood. With a clenched fist, she held her hand out over the bowl that was already filled with herbs, bones and an assortment of other magical items. "Natus est in sanguinem." She murmured, hearing the rattling of chains as the five girls in front of her struggled to break free from bondage. Bending down, the woman stoked the fire and watched the liquid in the bowl begin to boil, mixing everything together. "Creata per ignem." The contents started to smoke as robbed figures appeared from the shadows.

The chained women screamed against their gags. If this woman in front of them, cutting open her hand and speaking in a strange language over what was clearly some sort of witches circle wasn't terrifying enough, she also had goons to keep them in order. The five figures held each of the five women down who screamed as the smoke began to change color, to become denser, to form a malicious presence. "Per vitam magicae. Figura in sublime ferri. Timoris tenebris." The grip the figures had on the woman's arms were unbearable. They could barely move, chained down as it was but now they were forced to watch this woman perform some sort of demonic spell.

"Auctor nominis umbra. Ignis spiritus mortuorum." The women and her men were all chanting now, lending their voice to the magic, to the evil, to the dark spirit obeying their wishes. "Ignis spiritus exitium. Luci interfectorem. Natus ex obumbratio. Natus ex dolore." Inside the dense smoke, the women watched as an an image of a baby in utero was formed. The image shocked them as they had all recently become pregnant themselves. "Puer praeter eum. Balneum in insania. Eas removere ab bonitatem." Slowly, two embryos took shape in the womb. The second one lashed out at the first in red curling smoke and the women screamed in pain, feeling their own abdomens contract. The second child overcame the first, swallowing it whole and settling into the first child's place. Three of the women passed out from the pain and the men let them fall.

"Crescat in virtute." The red smoke became darker, denser. The two women who were still awake but very much in pain watched in horror as the child in red grew and grew. "Perdere in via. Facti sunt quasi daemonium. Vos autem potentes estis." The red smoke formed more people, other lives and the child slashed through all of them with blinding speed and ferociousness. "Perdere mundi." A thick scream seemed to emanate from the smoke, filling the room and the women watched in terror as right before their very eyes, they saw what their children would become. Creations of evil. Bringers of death. Destroyers of the world. They would watch the world burn and not bat a single eye.

One of the two women still awake though, had managed to break one of her hands free from the chains that bound her. The chains were old, rusted. And the women would have done anything to break free to save herself and her unborn child. In a last ditch effort to interrupt the ritual, she lashed out behind her and punched the man holding her right in his shrouded face. He stumbled back in pain and as the woman tried to stand, the heel of her shoe scrapped along the edge of the circle neatly drawn in chalk, breaking the seal surrounding her. A deep growl filled the room that quickly turned into a roar that shook the building. The smoke sucked itself back down into the bowl. The shockwave blew out all the candles and the woman in the center turned to the girl that had interrupted it all.

"Idiots!" She screamed. "You've allowed the ritual to be disrupted!" Before the women could continue fleeing or curse the woman in black out, she was knocked unconscious. A punch right in the face that would leave her stunned and sore for days. With magic, she wouldn't bruise but she would still feel the pain.

"Will it still work?" One of the men asked as they roused the other three women. "Will he still take over? Be reborn?" The women spit on the ground, right at the girl who had ruined the carefully laid plans she had been making for months.

"It's hard to know at this point." She replied, voice laced with venom. "Only time will tell." Everyone was already cleaning up the circle, gathering up the women, working their spells. "Hurry up!" She snapped at the men. "We have four hours until daybreak and we need to be out of here by then. With that, she sashayed away, her robe billowing out in the breeze.

A/N:
A rough translation of what was said in Latin.
"Born by blood. Created by fire. Life through magic. Shape from smoke. Born from shadow. Bringer of death. Creator of pain. Destroyer of light. Grow in power. Bathe in madness. Kill the child of life. Become like demons. And when you are stronger, destroy the world." That is a very rough translation since, honestly. I forgot what sentences I had tried to translate and I'm too lazy to go back and check lol.

So this was basically to show how Dabria got her powers. Her parents were mortal and her mom was kidnapped and subjected to this ritual. Her mom obviously doesn't remember that she was kidnapped, she just thinks she had a horrible dream. Essentially, the ritual was so this "unknown group" could plant children of magic inside a new mothers womb. And I would explain more but I don't want to give away the plot!

Hope y'all are as excited as I am about this story! I've tried to write other DC stories before and just never really got into them. But I wanted to finally start off by writing this story about Tim Drake and then write about the rest of the batboys and girls.

This story actually has a companion that will be called Tainted Vision and it will center around Barbra Gordon/ Batgirl. But since that story takes place after this one, I won't be updating it until after I finish this one. And I'm not actually sure when I'll start updating this story regularly. If there's a need though, I will certainly start updating whenever y'all comment and tell me to!

P.S. Hi fam!!! Small redesign for the story that i'll be continuing throughout. Hope you like it!!!