Standing There

Mitch's POV

He's always standing there, Whether it's a few feet from me, Or if it's over one hundred feet away. No matter what, he only stands there and does nothing else.

Jerome: "Mitch, you ok?"

Mitch: "Yeah, I'm fine."

Why does he always look at me, with those pure white eyes, His long face, He kind of looks like Cal... It's not a girl, that much I'm sure of.

Mitch: "Do you ever get the feeling someone is watching you?"

Jerome: "What do you mean like? A stalker?"

Mitch: "That's one way to out it. But I mean like, always checking over your shoulder because you swear you saw something move, Or maybe something you saw that seems out of place... But no one else can see it."

Jerome: "If no one else can see it then don't you think it's safe to say it probably doesn't exist? Hallucinations are a strange thing, have you been getting enough sleep?"

Mitch: "I sleep every night."

Jerome: "When was the last time you got a really long sleep in?"

Mitch: "I haven't slept in for a long time, I get too busy for that."

Turning around to find the figure gone, I let out a small breath. Knowing he probably wasn't going to come back today, I've seen him up close a few times. His completely white eyes, small, pursed lips. He was about 6 feet tall but that's all I got from him. He wore normal clothing which didn't worry me, Until I noticed one night, I woke up half way through the night and opened my eyes, almost screaming as he stood over my bed, Just simply watching me.

Jerome: "Maybe you need to get a proper sleep? When we get home, why don't you just go to bed and then see how you go from there?"

Mitch: "Yeah, Yeah maybe I need some more sleep."

Luckily for me I don't dream. It's not that my subconscious can't seem to form the images of it in my head, But when I fall asleep I feel like my whole body just blacks out. Like there is nothing left for it to do but sleep. The only really unsettling moments is when he is standing over my bed like last time. It's terrifying when you see something no one else can, And it just watches you. As if you were the most entertaining thing on the planet.

I was insanely terrified of it before, Now it's just unnerving. It had been 3 weeks since Jerome told me to try sleeping more, but I'm still woken up periodically throughout the night. Trying to sleep earlier just consisted of waking up more and being moody, But if I slept too late then I just wouldn't sleep at all.

Kyle: "Hey baby boy relax yeah? You are so tense right now."

Mitch: "Am I? I'm sorry I didn't realize."

Kyle had been a friend for a while now but he asked me out a few days ago, It feels weird going from friends to boyfriends, But I feel like we made it work, And I was starting to like him too.

The figure was starting to be less of a nuisance on me now, appearing less and less until it was only a week later after my date with Kyle. I was at home and Jerome came bursting through, telling me to turn the TV on. I turned it on to see a soap opera and just gave him a bored look, I could tell the boy was getting frustrated as he quickly turned to another channel. A news broadcast in front of Kyle's home.

Reporter: "Witnesses say a man about 6 feet tall, Entered Mr Bylos home and didn't walk out again, His next door neighbor told us that she noticed the man through the blinds to the front yard, The man turned to look straight at her, She said the man had to be wearing contacts, His eyes were void of every color."

I stared at the screen in horror, knowing exactly what went down, Knowing what that thing did to him.

Jerome: "Mitch I'm so sorry, But I knew you had to see it."

Mitch: "I uh...

I was numb, as they showed a word on the wall, scratched into it saying Mine. It kind of terrified me.

Reporter: "If anyone has any information..."

Jerome turned off the screen before he turned to look at me, He was so worried and concerned for me that I got a bit scared for myself. But what he said and showed me wasn't what terrified me. It was that the figure behind Jerome, His body now caked in blood, the whites of his eyes now a deep blood red, His clothing was effectively ruined. He started to move, like actually move for the first time in years. He wasn't just watching anymore, he was moving... The worst part, he no longer stared at me, he no longer watched me... He was watching Jerome, Moving faster towards him.

And there was nothing I could do about it.