Chapter 18

I examined the new communication device before inquiring, "So, if I put this back down, does that mean I can choose a job that entails less responsibility?"

I knew it wasn't a possibility after how I had beat this subject to death, but the denial had turned into mischievousness as I tried to get a rise out of the ever-practical AI. He knew it too, which didn't help my case any.

"We both know the answer to that one. The answer is no, by the way. This communication device has other enhancements that should allow it to more or less completely protect you, even off-ship."

I examined the device in surprise. I wasn't sure how this shiny platinum-colored object could possibly manage such a task. It lay in the palm of my hand and looked more like a fancy colored communication device than anything else. The indentation in the shape of a comet was Starsong's new symbol.

I slowly pinned it to my shirt. "And just how is it going to manage that? The people I am worried about aren't about to just invite me over for a tea party and talk about the weather."

"The Starships have done a lot of research and development. We now have technology that is decades or centuries beyond human advancement. The communication device is capable of creating a forceshield around you that will stop anything that most weapons can throw at you. The generator is small, so the forcefield can only shield you, but what it lacks in reach, it makes up for in strength."

"Uhh, you do remember that if a force is strong enough to push whatever is creating the forcefield, then it will also push the shield, right? If I attached the device to an apple, any force sufficient to push the apple is enough to push the forcefield generator – which is attached to the apple. It might stop small stuff, but if it is going to be attached to me, then it is going to send me for a tumble if anyone tackles it."

"With humanity's current level of technology, yes. But this is Starship technology. The forcefield will lock onto the floor, or any other support, and rely on that instead of on the device generating it. So, for your apple, you would have to push the table before you could move the forcefield – and it wouldn't affect the apple, just the forcefield. That is also making the assumption that the forcefield doesn't go further down into the floor for additional support as well. The generator does not have to remain at the center of the forcefield either, it can move around inside while the forcefield remains stationary."

My jaw dropped in shock. That was way beyond the current capability of technology. And such powerful technology was somehow hidden into this tiny device. I recalled the rather unremarkable-looking weapons and armor I had seen on the Starships.

Perhaps my initial assumption regarding the capabilities of the Starships' armor and weapons also needs a serious re-evaluation...

*        *        *

It was almost time for supper already, and I knew that everyone would show up at the same time. They always did lately, likely looking for company as well as the support of the others in the uncertainty of this situation. Even if some were trying to hide their uncertainty, all 27 were still on board and none had bailed. Yet.

Starsong had informed me that they were aware we had docked as well as that they had seen the various rovers and bots moving some supplies over. We had left most of the cargo untouched, and there was plenty of food and supplies left on the Tyndel to get any remaining crew back to the Telbert planet. Most of what had been moved over were things like plants from the agricultural area, some food, and a handful of other supplies we needed before we got to the first port.

Lovely... I can barely stand the thought of trying to face 25 people who are my seniors as I try to explain things. The other two may not have been here as long as me, but that isn't saying much. I fail to see how I am going to manage once we are at an official docking station... "Hey Starsong, if they act irrationally, am I simply relying on this forcefield thing while fleeing back to the Starship?"