Chapter Four

Elias loved the feel of the ocean spray sweeping against his cheeks. One hand held the high collar of his robes closed, covering his gills. Wind wiped his robes and hair around. Despite having pulled his silver hair back in a loose bun, the strands still lashed against his face. He inhaled the aroma of the salt, reveling in the vast seas he once called home.

"Oh Goddess."

Elias glanced to his right. Ross leaned over the side, his eyes closed. If it weren't for his medium-brown skin masking the effects of his sea sickness, Elias was sure Ross would be green from head to toe. It took him time to adjust seeing Ross in his Goddess given form, and not as Rosie the eccentric owner of Firnlans finest—and only—adult entertainers. A Changeling potion was Ross' best friend, allowing him to become anyone and anything he desired, but still Elias knew him only as Rosie, even in his multiple male forms he'd always been Rosie.

Ross groaned and heaved more of his breakfast into the water parting at the speed of the boat, lapping against the wood hull. Even as they neared the shores of Ardorn, he hadn't gotten his sea legs, and Elias knew he was partially to blame. Under normal conditions, it would've taken almost three months to cross the southern seas into the island territories of Ardorn. Elias had cut that down to a month by doing what he'd sworn he'd never do again.

He swam in the ocean.

Once the open waves of the vast seas touched his gray-green skin, his magic returned in force. Under cover of night, he used it to propel the ship forward, giving it perfect conditions for their travels. Even during raging storms in the middle of the ocean, Elias kept the ship on a steady course. If the sailors knew who was the cause of their swift journey he wasn't entirely sure they'd be grateful for his meddling. Sailors were a superstitious lot and didn't like magic interfering with their ways, even when the magic was well intentioned.

"We should be there by days end," Elias said, raising a hand to shield the sun from his eyes. The orange-gold shores of Ardorn rippled like a mirage in the clear blue horizon.

"Thank the Goddess." Ross winced. "Am I allowed to say that in Ardorn?"

Elias chuckled. "Yes. Unless you mock their three-headed God, you're allowed to practice and believe in your religion. You also could've continued to use Changeling potions."

"Ardornians consider it a great sin to use magic to change ones self." Ross retched, covering his mouth in case he puked again. "We are meeting their future King. I thought it would be courteous to represent as I was born."

"Eloy will be grateful to the respect you're showing his people. But he is aware that your beliefs don't change just because you enter Ardorn. It's only if you start to force your belief on his people that he'd have issue."

"Goddess I forgot how sweaty these things get." Ross grabbed his crotch, adjusting himself. "Is it always this hot in Ardorn?"

"It'll be worse. Right now it's masked by the ocean winds."

"Or the Aquantian generated ocean winds." Ross' lips twitched. "Don't think I haven't noticed you vanish every night. Is it strange to be back in the sea?"

Elias shrugged. Strange isn't how he would describe it. Surreal didn't cover it either. There wasn't a word that completely summed up how he felt the first time he disrobed at the stern of the ship and lowered himself into the water with a rope. When his foot first touched the waves, it was like greeting an old friend. He hadn't entered the ocean since Siobhan was younger, when he took her to the Aquantian kingdom. The same day he forever shunned his people in favor of serving the Draygon royal line.

His elders begged him to stay and seed that years egg harvest with his power, gifting more of his bloodline to the Aquantian people. But Elias had already fallen in love with a Draygon child from the moment her tiny hand twined around his fine silver hair, or at least what passes for love in his eyes. The smile on her face, and white eyes wide with curiosity, locked him in a sort of trance he couldn't escape. She was the only child he'd ever need and he couldn't bear the thought of not being there to raise her. He couldn't have both land and sea.