Chapter||30

How old are y'all? When we started writing this book, we were 14. Now we're 16 and 17.

Tyler took me to get ice cream, but I was distracted the whole time.

"... It's just that I'm his girlfriend, I'm supposed to be there for him," I ranted as I shoved cookies and cream ice cream in my mouth.

"Drop it Lex, just try to focus on something else," Tyler encouraged.

"Like what? My boyfriend's probably being torn apart by his poor excuse for a father as we speak," I said an exasperated tone.

"Hmm, you can help me think about how I'm going to ask Amy to prom," he suggested.

"You're asking Amy Jenner?" I asked skeptically.

"What's wrong with Amy?" He questioned.

"Nothing," I assured, "She just doesn't seem like your type."

Amy is super sweet, so that's exactly why I was skeptical of my brother asking her. Usually Tyler went after cheerleaders, and even he occasional college girl, so it was beyond me why he would want to ask a normal girl.

"Yeah, I'm thinking of asking a girl who isn't crazy for senior prom... ya know to make it special," he explained.

"Wow... I never thought I'd hear you say that," I admired, "I'm impressed."

Ty smiled ear to ear, "Thanks."

We continue to eat our ice cream and talk about prom until I got a call from Cal.

"Hey," I answered.

"Hey Lex, whats for dinner? Hallie and I are starving, should we order a pizza?"

Shit I totally forgot about the kids.... "Yeah order something and I'll be back to pay for it before it gets there."

I hung up the phone and looked at Ty, "Can you give me a ride back to the Johnson's?"

"Yeah no problem," he said as we stood up from our chairs.

...

Tyler dropped me off at the Johnson's house and I gave him a big hug before I left the car, "Make sure Kade stays out of trouble, I'll see you tomorrow."

I pulled my keys out of my purse and unlocked the front door, "Cal, Hallie?" I called.

"Hey Lex!" Hallie exclaimed and ran over to me, "I lost a tooth. The little girl proudly presented me with a tooth and then flashed me a toothy smile.

"Wow Hal that's so cool! The Tooth Fairy's gonna come tonight," I smiled.

"Yay!!" She exclaimed and started jumping up and down. I chuckled, and then noticed Cal in the room. "What did you order for dinner?"

"Two pizzas and garlic knots... I'm starving," he said sounding slightly embarrassed.

"Mmm, sounds good. Lets rent a movie."

We decided to rent some superhero movie that Cal was into, and ten minutes in, the doorbell rang. "That must be the pizza, I'll go get it," I announced and grabbed my purse.

I opened the door expecting to see a pizza delivery man, when in fact, it was none other than my boyfriend and his awful father returning from their dinner.

"Oh... Hey," I greeted slightly frazzled. They both walked into the house, and as Jace passed me, I noticed that he looked somewhat like a puppy who had just been scolded. "Jace..?" I began to ask, but in return I was given a look which meant don't say anything please.

I sighed.

"So dinner's going to be here soon in case you two are still hungry. Cal ordered extra pizza." I said conversationally.

"We've already eaten, thank you though." His dad said roughly while staring at Jace.

Jace hadn't looked up from the ground in five minutes.

Mr. Johnson looked over to his other children, and Cal and Hal looked scared. "Hey Hallie, c'mere!" He said cheerfully.

Hallie, unwillingly, ran to her dad's arms and he picked her up. "It's so good to see you my little sun shine!" He said with a smile.

"Dad guess what?" Cal said, "I scored the winning goal at my lacrosse game last week before being tackled by three guys!"

"Now that is how you score a goal!" Mr. Johnson said as he high-fived Cal. In the corner of my eye, I saw Jace sigh.

I walked over to him.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He threw his arm around my shoulder and kissed me on the cheek. "I'm fine babe. Thank you for asking."

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" I said, looking up into his eyes.

"Yeah, I know, but there's nothing to tell. Dad and I just had a nice meal." He said tightly.

"Alright, I'm not gonna push it, but we will talk later okay?" I said slowly.

Gosh, why can't he just tell me what's on his mind???

"Okay, love you Lex" He said and pecked me on the lips.

"I love you too Jace." I said slowly.

thanks for reading loves

don't forget to check out our other stories "Dialed" and "Falling For You"