Chapter 28

"Why am I even wearing this!"

Rachel looked over at me, her blonde curls falling past her cheeks. She smiled and skipped over to look in the mirror with me.

"Cause you look amazing in it, obviously." She giggled and looked too happy about this. Like we were the same people we were a week ago.

Our pack was gone, our home destroyed, my family dead, and I was suppose to just put on a pretty face and pretend nothing happened.

I rolled my eyes and started to march towards the bathroom to change.

"I'm taking it off and putting back on my old clothes." I announced, ignoring Rachel's shocked expression. I heard her following me, her heel clad feet skittering across the hardwood.

"You can't wear jeans to this function Aspen! You can't just do whatever you want anymore. It's different here. They have rules!" She pleaded with me and entered the bathroom behind me.

"THEY? I thought you were one of them now?" I sneered sarcastically, "They practically have you eating out of their palms. They say jump, you reply 'how high', right?" I said meanly, my bitterness seeping into my words and scent. She was too naïve and it grated against my nerves.

I looked at her, my face completely serious. "These aren't good people. They didn't save us, Rachel. They've caged us. Hunter... Leo, they're all murders. Look into their eyes and tell me that their isn't a part of you that doesn't want curl into ball, that your hairs don't stand a little straighter when he's near."

Rachel looked close to tears, her face scrunched up and lips pursed. "Well..." She started, her voice trying to remain calm, "Unlike you Aspen. I'm not trying to see what will break first." She said and walked towards the door, just before she left Rachel looked back, her voice filled with sadness. "The world or myself."

And then I was alone.

Again.

I looked in the mirror again. I wore a satin dark red gown that reached all the way to my feet. It's spaghetti straps gave the illusion that one small tug and I'd be naked. The neckline draped across my chest in a U shape, plenty of flesh on display. Strangely more than I'm comfortable with. I was a werewolf, spent lots of time naked, but in this dress I felt more vulnerable then I would completely nude.

I didn't recognize myself. The girl staring back at me had straight hair that looked like woven silk and dark red lipstick with pretty brown eyeshadow. It didn't remind me of the feral looking girl I'm accustom to seeing in the reflection. I've never seen the girl in front of me.

A small knock on the door sounded.

Out of my trance I stumbled in my strappy heels to the door.

"Hello?" I said yanking opening the door.

"Your knight in shining armor has- Woah!" Jayden stood at the door dressed a purple dress-shirt and black tie.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just you look really... nice." He said and gave me a once over.

"Thanks... uh...you look nice too." I said, not really know how to reply.

His surprised expression quickly disappeared and was replaced with Jayden's normal confident smirk. "Well, aren't you lucky then. I'm escorting you to the dinner tonight. Yes, for a full three minutes I'm yours."

I raised my eyebrow and couldn't help but chuckle, he reminded me of Liam and Dean.

"Please, you could only handle me for three minutes." I said, my voice husky and I started down the hallway. It felt wrong play flirting with Jayden, even though I wasn't serious. It was like my body rejected the idea of any man.