Chapter 14: The Snapping of Bones

I landed with a terrible thud, the cracking of various bones in body sent excruciating needle-like pain through my body. The heavy thud of another body landed beside me. My vision dances on the edge of darkness and the flickering sunlight that filtered through the tall trees.

It was peaceful... To an extent.

I groaned painfully since crying was not an option for me. I gasp for air and it felt like a hand was wrapped tightly around my throat- cold and unforgiving. A sharp ringing noise began echoing in my ears and I felt the thunderous footsteps and hooves approaching me through the ground. I could feel it's vibrations and I desperately wanted to move out of the way- my warrior instincts kicking in. I try to shift myself to roll out of the way but my once numb legs began to burn as if boiling water was being poured on me.

I gasp again and blink several times as if blinking would wash away the pain.

My name was being called and dark figures loom over me. Clicking noises and small touches of fingers dance over my body. I knew I wasn't registering anything correctly besides the fact that my body felt as if it was lit on fire and being ripped in half. Nothing but hoarse whistles escaped my dry mouth.

There was a sudden panic in the figures before me, and suddenly, two pairs of hands hoist me up, causing a painful, shredded cry to rip up and out of my throat. For the first time in nearly five years, I allowed myself to cry out. To show weakness as an elite warrior. Showing pain can cause panic in others. Especially from one of the strongest trained warriors in Asgard. Another sharp ripple of pain caused me to groan out, but quieter this time.

Whoever was moving me was doing so hastily and brash. My vision was dancing more on the edge of darkness as I was set upright and against someone's back. A harsh cold hand was pressed against my lower stomach and the uneven movement of horseback caused sparks of pain to shoot through my body.

Rest. A stern but almost concerned voice demanded. And just like that, there was nothing.

-------

I awoke and for a moment everything was numb to me. That pleasant moment was ruined quickly as I opened my eyes to see a very pale, sunken-faced Asmund. His hands were outstretched, his purple hue of magic wrapping itself around my torso and hips. His dull eyes caught mine and he slumped forward in relief. His hands shook before he finally leans back against the rocky wall behind him.

"By the gods, I didn't think... We didn't know if we could heal you fast enough to keep you from slipping into a coma." Asmund panted softly. Already, without his welcoming healing, tingling sensations of pain began tickling its way through my body. I shifted slightly, but regret it instantly.

"Don't even try. Nearly all of your ribs were cracked, a few vertebrae, wrist, and a whole lot more were damaged in the fall. If Prince Loki hadn't begun healing you immediately, even your Asgardian blood wouldn't have saved you." He explained with his eyes shut tiredly. "For that, I have to thank him."

"He was even paler than he normally is by the time we were able to find a safe spot to camp." Asmund said, nodding his head towards a slumped figure in the corner of the cavern.

"Wait. Safe spot?" I asked. Last I had checked we killed the Eddas ambushers.

"The leader got away and sent a whole other group of warriors hot on our trail after us. We finally lost them but when we finally gathered up we were missing four soldiers." Asmund said quietly. He picked at his fingernails and dipped his head mournfully. "We aren't able to recover the four fallen for a proper burial. They were good warriors too."

I laid my head back all the way now, letting it sink slowly into the deerskin pillow. I took a deep breath before wiggling my fingers.

Still intact.