Chapter 11: What's wrong?

Kage and Mariana walk through aisles. Him picking what he needs while she stands by. They're currently in the supermarket. Mariana wasn't told that this would be one of his errands, not that she minds. Both are halfway through all the aisles. Kage walked off to grab some packs of meat. That was apparently the last thing he needs for the time. There wasn't much in the cart.

Mariana feels a tap on her right shoulder and spins around. A boy, the age of 17, stands before her. He smiles widely, ignoring her confuse and shock look. The boy lifts his hand to wave and Mariana flinches. His eyebrows pull together at her action. Mariana internally scolds herself, disappointed that she couldn't hold back this time.

"S-Sorry," he stutters before regaining his usual state. "You're very beautiful."

"T-thank you."

"Tollak," A deep voice announces from a distance. "What are you doing here?"

"Kage," Tollak says. "I'm here with my mother."

"You know what I mean. The real reason."

"I came to see your girlfriend." Kage takes an aggravated step forward but, Tollak runs past him to the end of the aisle. "She's very lovely, Kage. Great job! Bye!"

Kage huffs out at not getting a chance to catch him. Mariana remains quiet. The black door in her being pounded on. The past trying to unlock the door and break free. Squeezing her eyes shut, Mariana recollects herself.

"Ignore what just happened," Kage advises.

"Okay..." Mariana trails off.

"We can check out now. Hardware store is next and that's all."

Kage exits his truck and walks around. Mariana unbuckles and opens the door. Kage lifts her up and sets her on the ground. Her struggles to get in and out of his truck is undeniable. Kage stays by her side as they walk in. Surprising both of them, seeing as he always walks ahead.

Mariana currently holds an extension chord on her right arm. She looks at the different packs of light bulbs on the rack. Kage is near the back of the aisle. A worker makes his way towards Mariana. A smile is taped to his face.

"Hello!"

Mariana jumps and looks at him. Kage raises his head and notices the male worker next to Mariana. His eyebrows furrows but other than that Kage processes with what he was doing. Mariana stares at the floor, clutching her racing heart from inside.

"Are you okay?" The worker asks genuinely concern.

"Y-Yes."

"Can I help you?"

"N-No. I'm okay."

The worker persists on helping Mariana and does so. He makes jokes and small talk after assisting her. Mariana felt more at ease. She starts to give in and smile a little. Kage hears a low, half laugh from Mariana. Kage flares up. He walks to them in long, stiff strides.

"If she needs any help, I can do it," Kage growls. "She doesn't need you."

"Kage," Mariana whispers. "That's not nice. Apologize, please."

"No. I'm here. I brought you here. I'm going to be the one helping you, not him." Kage doesn't remove his eyes from the worker's.

"Kage. He just helped. That's all. What's wrong with you?" Mariana doesn't receive a response. "I-I'm sorry. He-He... Ah..."

"It's fine. How about I those items up for you. Then maybe we could discuss if there is a possibility I can see you again."

"No need," Kage grits out.

He takes Mariana away by her wrist. Kage throws some money on the counter as they pass it. Mariana tugs to free her wrist. He picks Mariana up and walks across the parking lot, throwing her into the passenger seat. Kade slams the driver's door shut. His breathing coming out in angry pants.

"Why did you do that?"

No response.

"Why were you so rude?"

No response.

"What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me is that he had no reason to help or talk to you!"

"That's no excuse to be angry," Mariana keeps calm. "I want a real reason, please."

"I'll drop you off home now." Mariana quietly sighs at his response.

"Just ask. There's no harm in trying." Mariana encourages herself.

" W-Would you like to come o-over for dinner?" Kage hears her despite her soft voice.

"...When?"

Mariana sucks in a sharp breath in surprise before shyly answering. "Is Thursday night fine?"

"Yes."

Mariana smiles and looks out the window for the rest of the ride. Kage is trying to hold his in. The feeling of warmth and happiness covering them like a blanket.