Chapter 13: Our Night

A sigh of contentment brushes past her lips. There's no sun but the sky is clear. The wind blowing against her. She's at peace. Leaves flying as the trees sway to their own rhythm. It's 11 in the morning this Saturday. Two days after Kage and she's dinner with the unexpected arrival of Jean.

She's taking a break from working. She doesn't feel as stressed out about it as before. The dinner sparked an inspiration. Helping her with writing her current book. The day passes on with her relaxing on the porch. Writing and taking breaks every so often.

Mariana looks into the distance at hearing a bus. From afar, she can see Rei get off. Once Rei gets close to her house, Mariana waves at her as she looks at her. Giving a grand smile, Rei gives Mariana a signal that means give her a minute. Rushing into the house, Mariana saves the progress of her work and closes her laptop. Rei runs across the street and up the porch steps.

"Hi, Mariana!"

"Hi Rei," Mariana greets with a pleasing smile.

"I have something for you." Mariana raises an eyebrow at this. "Here. Uncle Kage told me to give this to you."

Mariana takes the small piece from Rei's hand. Opening it, she realizes it's a phone number, his phone number. Mariana's cheeks heat up. Mariana questions whether he gave this to Rei to give to her. It doesn't seem like an action he would do. Maybe it was a plan formed by Jean and Rei.

"Nobody has your phone number. So he told me to give you this. He said to call him because he wants to talk to you." Mariana's heart skips a beat at Rei's words.

"He wants to talk to me!" Mariana couldn't stop the huge smile from forming on her face.

Rei squeals and claps her hands. "I'm so happy! He likes you!"

"I don't know about that exactly..." Mariana trails off with a hint of doubt.

"Of course he does! I know my Uncle." Rei is ecstatic. "I wonder what it will be about."

"I wonder too. How about we go inside and have apple pie?"

"Yes!" Mariana and Rei go inside to enjoy some pie.

It's late in the afternoon. The clock hits 4:30 and Mariana starts to decide what she should make for dinner. She remembers she hasn't called Kage yet. Picking up her phone, she dials the written number. Her heart thumps harder. The ringing stops and she holds her breath.

"Hello?" A deep voice answers.

"Kage?" Mariana questions quietly.

"Mariana?"

"Yes," she responds.

"I thought you wouldn't call. I'm glad you did," Kage lets a bit of happiness seep through. "Did Rei overwhelm you?"

"No, she didn't."

"Good. I want to know if you want to go to the Heritage Festival tonight."

"T-Tonight?"

"Yes. The whole town gets together and celebrates its heritage. It goes for every heritage."

Mariana holds in her squeal. She has not wanted to squeal in such a long time. He is asking her to accompany him. She feels like she has a schoolgirl crush. Mariana ignores the fact that Kage is asking her last minute.

"Sure!"

"Great. I'll be over in an hour. Be ready," he commands the last part.

"Okay." The call ends.

Racing upstairs, Mariana searches through her wardrobe. Wondering what to wear. A dress is out of the question. It's going to get colder tonight and it's November. It's been over two months since she moved to Norway. Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. At least for her. Mariana has no family to celebrate with her and it pains her.