Chapter 3 - Rose [UPDATED]

"Is it chill that you're in my head?"

I stared at the dress laid out on my bed for a moment, then turned to Lysa, shaking my head. "No. Fucking. Way."

My friend scoffed, tossing her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Oh, come on. It's not that bad."

"Not that bad? It looks like you raided Prissy Nott's closet!"

Lysa crossed her arms. "It's from my closet, thank you very much."

"Merlin, Ly... What were you thinking when you bought this thing? Where could you possibly wear it?"

"You do know my parents, don't you? They wouldn't care if I walked out of the house wearing a bloody thong."

I rolled my eyes. "Just because you can wear things doesn't mean you should. And just because you want to wear them doesn't mean I can pull them off."

"Oh, nonsense. You have a killer body and you know it."

I shook my head. "I can't wear this, okay? Not a chance."

The dress in question was a black velvet bodycon dress with cap sleeves. I could tell just from looking at it how tightly it would hug my curves, and how much of my cleavage it would show. It was too much.

Lysa sighed. "Well, if you insist... I did bring a backup." She opened her purse — which, of course, had an extension charm on the inside — and pulled out something bluish green. I eyed the fabric uncertainly, and when she held it up for inspection, my mouth dropped open.

"Lysa. That... that is lingerie!"

It was a silky-looking slip dress, which would have been okay, except the whole section between the chest and the waistline was sheer. Maybe it would reveal less of my actual chest than the other dress, but there was no way I'd be able to wear a bra with it.

My friend burst out laughing. "Godric, Rosie, you are such a prude sometimes! Just because you're a virgin doesn't mean you can't show some skin."

I glared at her. "Not all of us want to give everything to some boy we'll never speak to after graduation."

She put her hands up in mock surrender. "Okay, okay, chill out! I'm sorry I brought it up. Anyways, though... Stop worrying that you'll look slutty and pick a dress already. Nobody's even gonna see you in it except for Malfoy."

"Malfoy is the one I'm worried about," I muttered as I looked back and forth between the dresses, but I don't think she heard me. She was too busy rummaging through her purse again — probably getting out the extra makeup she'd insisted on bringing up. I sighed softly. This felt like more trouble than necessary for a boy I didn't even like.

Don't you? A part of my brain whispered. And I thought about the courtyard, and about the library yesterday, and how it had felt to know I had made him blush— No. I wasn't going to go there. It was foolish. Scorpius Malfoy was not my type of boy. He never would be. And having feelings for him — getting involved with him in any way — was absolutely out of the question.

---

I wobbled on the black heels Lysa had lent me as I stepped out of the portrait hole, glancing around to make sure there was nobody watching. I'd been left mostly at my friend's mercy, but I'd at least convinced her to let me put on a black denim jacket for the time I was still in the castle. It wouldn't do to have anyone see me in this dress — I'd eventually decided on the green one — and report it as suspicious behaviour or something of that sort. The last thing I needed was for McGonagall to find out about this — or, Merlin forbid, my parents.