#9 Fight Fire With Fire [Part 3]

A/N

One of my readers, FennaB11, requested another part of this story, "The reader wins the bet but she also doesn't feel well because off lack of sleep or she does and she finds something for Poe to do" So here is what I came up with.

Hope you like it!

You didn't sleep at all that night. Again. Which was bad because you still had to win that race. You had told Poe he better win it, but you knew you couldn't just give up. It wasn't in your character. So you did everything you could to build up your energy in the morning.

You drank like 3 cups of caff, ate 5 energy bars, and shot a little bit of spice. Not near enough to get high on but enough to sharpen your senses back up to normal for a while. It was a trick you had learned early on in your smuggling days. If you really had to stay up for a long period of time, shoot yourself full of energy, and go for it. Though you usually ended up paying for it later with a huge crash, and you would feel like garbage for a few days.

You walked into the hangar confidently, and then smirked. Poe had round up a huge crowd to watch the competition. So much for playing nice, you thought, now this is gonna get dirty.

You smiled at the people who cheered you on and walked over to your fighter. Poe jogged over from talking with a group of his close friends. "Are you sure you don't want to back down, there sure are are a lot of witnesses."

You cocked your head and stuck out your lower lip, pouting, "What?" you whined with an air of compassion, "You don't want to lose in front of all your friends?"

The crowd near you erupted in laughter, mixed in with a few whistles, cat calls, and one person shouting, "Burn!"

Poe shook his head and laughed along with everyone else, "Hope you have fun flying in my wake," and added as an afterthought, "wingman." then spun on his heel and climbed nimbly into his black fighter.

You shook your head, as he walked away, and called to the crowd of excited pilots and resistance ground support, "I guess I better teach him some humility hu?" They laughed and you climbed into your own fighter.

These people must not get out much, you thought, They seem way more excited than they should be about some race. But you didn't care, after a short stint working as a pod-racer on the Malastare Circuit you were used to the attention and it didn't bother you one bit. In fact you knew for a fact that it alwaysed upped your performance level. You had to laugh at that. Dameron had literally just lost himself the race by publicizing it.

You started up your fighter and scanned the hangar once more. The crowd had retreated a safe distance from the two racers and were waiting for the both of them to take off. Right before you were about to go for it, you saw Princess Leia step out onto the platform above the fighters. You waved and smiled at her cheerily. and heard her voice come over the comms. "Please whip Dameron's ass for all of us. We could use a break from his constant bragging."

"HEY!" Poe shouted, indignant. You tried to pull your ear away from the overly loud sound coming through the comm system in your helmet but it didn't work because obviously, the helmet was stuck on your head.

You resorted to a cheeky reply that made Leia laugh and Poe scowl. "Don't worry, I will. It will be quick and painless. Oh sorry I lied, it will be quick and painful."

And the race was on. The fighters flew out of the hangar. Poe had requisitioned the help of his best man, 'Snap' Wexley, to plot out a race course that would show the next checkpoint on the X-wing navigation system. Every time they would pass a checkpoint it would flash green and then the next one would appear on the map. So neither of them knew ahead of time the actual race layout. Poe said he didn't want to have a tactical advantage, and you weren't going to argue.