Adalyn

October 7th, 1953. 3:53 pm, The Ansley Household

"So how are things going with Buddy?" Adalyn asks, closing her room door.

"Great. Why do you ask?" I set my bag down on the ground and sit on her bed.

"No real reason. I was just curious. You guys sleep together, right?"

I feel my face go hot. "Yeah, haven't I told you about that?"

"Probably. You know me, I'm not the best at remembering things." She sits down next to me. "How'd you say it was?"

"It's good. Better than expected. Then again, he was kind of a man whore there for a minute. I can't talk, though. I was a whore."

"No, you just slept with a lot of people. Use the word hoe. It doesn't sound as...agressive."

"True."

"Okay you know I gotta ask. Buddy plays guitar a lot, yeah?"

"No, of course not." I say sarcastically.

"Shut up. Well, guitar requires agile fingers?"

"Oh my God, Adalyn don't."

"So I bet he's good at using his fingers?"

"Yeah, okay. Lets just say he's pretty talented."

"I should get me a guitarist." She says, leaning back onto the bed and stretching.

I laugh and shake my head. "Yeah, go for Bob. He's on the market." I say. I can't tell if I'm being serious or not.

"Actually, I kind of like him. And that kid Dustin in French class."

I raise my eyebrows and I then around to face her. "No way! Dustin Mullenleger?"

"Yeah, actually. He's kind of cute..."

"Huh, I wouldn't have guessed. He's almost a Greaser, yeah?"

"Oh no, he IS a greaser. I think I might be into the bad boys."

"Come with Buddy and I to the Hi-Di-Ho. That's like the hub of underground teen rebellion."

"What do you even do there?"

"Get alcohol and quite possibly other things that are quite possibly illegal."

"Oh my God, Violet. How often are you there?!"

"Like, once a week to stock up. How do you think I get through school? By spiking my coffee with whatever kind of alcohol."

"I knew there was a reason that it seemed a little strong. "

I shrug. "What can I say?"

"I never knew that you were such a secret rebel! What do you do in your free time?! Sex, drugs and rock and roll?"

"Yeah, yeah basically. I'm such I rebel." I shake my head.

"I know."

I lay down next to her. "I'm not actually this huge rebel, you know."

"You've been having sex, drinking, sneaking out, probably doing some sort of drug, smoking, and whatever else I don't know about."

"Sounds like a normal teenager to me." I glance over to her poster of James Dean. I feel like something bad is going to happen to him. He's not going to live too long. I can't break that to Adalyn, though. She loves him more than she loves anyone. "Plus it's not like I'm having sex with multiple people...anymore. And it's not a drug persay. It's...nevermind."