twenty-seven

||CHAPTER 27||
《¤》

Strange how my Barbies from school knew about my flight timings, because I wasn't joking when I said I didn't.

"Why are you wearing your school uniform Vika?" Dad asked in a tone I couldn't decipher.

I looked down at my blazer and then at the cornflakes I was supposed to eat and then at the empty bowl of my brother's who was looking at me with equal curiosity.

"Because... It's Friday?" I checked my phone.

"And? Don't you have a flight to catch?"

I let him think that I had genuinely forgotten about the morning flight; because if he knew I hadn't cared to check the time, assuming it would be after school, I'm pretty sure all hell would break lose.

So I quickly went back to my room, which greeted me with the sight of my mini trolley bag and the bagpack I had packed, after Daadi forced me to do so last night. The envelope that Dad had given me weeks ago, still lay inside my drawer, so I fished it out to check the timings.

I rolled my eyes, removing my maroon blazer. I wasn't going to be late if I didn't reach the airport in an hour. And considering it was early morning, I doubt the Delhi Traffic could help me not go.

Arnav was still in the living room when I emerged out of my room, now in a pair of dark blue jeans, bright yellow crop top that my mother hates, with a white hoodie in my hands.

"School nahi jaa raha? You've decided to come with me or what?" I tried to conceal the happy undertone.

"Not at all," He picked up his blazer from the couch, wearing it. "Just wanted to wish you Happy Journey."

I scrunched up my brows, "Dude, Andaman and Nicobar Islands nahi jaa rahi hoon, jo Happy Journey wish kar raha hai. If anything, you should be saying may the odds be ever in your favour or some kind of that bravery shit because what you have escaped and I have to face isn't the Merry-go-round!"

With his bag slinging off his right shoulder, he suddenly came towards me to hug me and pat on my back, and released me before I could react. "Pretty sure Mom hates this bright yellow kid's top, but I know what you're trying to do. So I'll ignore the fact that you actually saw or read Hunger Games, and go now, warna tere wajah se meri bus miss ho jayegi, and then people will think I went to the wedding like a coward."

I gawked at him, narrowing my eyes. "You are a coward."

He ignored my statement, "I'll call you in the evening. Nahi utthaya tho tere room ka halat bigadega!"

Oh boy, as if I cared.

¿¤?

It obviously wasn't the first time that I was travelling alone, and contrary to what one might assume about me, I did not like travelling alone. And I wasn't this complaining in nature today because I was looking for some company, no. I very much liked my solitude, which unfortunately, the air hostesses were not granting me.

"Is there anything you'd like mam?" The head flight attendant asked me for the upteenth time right before I was just about to doze off for the fourth time in the one hour I had boarded the plane. I completely did not understand why Dad had requested for their special services and attention towards me; it was not like I was going to throw a tantrum up in the turbulence.