― i. wheezes distraction

𝓦𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐳𝐞𝐬 𝓓𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

𝓦𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐳𝐞𝐬 𝓓𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"That'll be three galleons, seven sickles, and twelve knuts." 

With an eager smile, the twelve-year-old boy pulled out a handful of coins from his pocket and began to count as the store clerk, who was all dressed in maroon, placed the Boxing Telescope, Canary Creams, Box 'O' Rockets, and Weasley Joke Box into a large paper bag. His smile disappeared, however, when he counted his last coin. "I'm sorry, Miss," he spoke. "But I only have three galleons and two sickles."

The store clerk blinked, rather surprised at being addressed 'Miss' — after all, she was only fifteen. She drummed her fingers against the paper bag. "You go to Hogwarts, right?" she asked. 

The boy looked curiously up at her. Now that he thought about it, her face did seem oddly familiar and he wondered if he had seen her before at school. She was pretty, shoulder-length dark curls framing her slim face, which held all the well-sculpted features of a patrician beauty. She wore a plain maroon dress that draped over her small build, and though her body was half-hidden behind the counter, the boy could tell that she was thin — perhaps too thin. She was smiling kindly at him, but there was an emptiness in her gunmetal blue eyes. 

Realizing that he was staring, the boy hastily nodded. "Yeah, I do. My name's Dale, and I'm in Hufflepuff. I'll be going into my second year come September."

"Well, Dale," said the store clerk, leaning slightly over the counter, "if you promise me that you'll use a Canary Cream on a Slytherin, we can let it slide."

"Really?" 

"Mhm." 

Dale beamed and exchanged his coins for the bags of goodies. "Thank you!" he said, and he was just about to turn to leave when his curiosity got the better of him. "Er, Miss," he spoke timidly. "You look familiar. Do you...do you go to Hogwarts as well?" 

"I'll be going into my sixth year."

"Which House?"

"Gryffindor."

And with that, Dale finally realized who the witch standing before him was, and everything from her pretty features to her empty eyes made sense; he had heard much about Edelyn Black from his two older brothers. 

"I...I guess I'll see you at Hogwarts, then?" 

"For sure! I mean...I'll have to make sure you stay true to your word, don't I? No prank no goods, Dale."

He chuckled and waved her goodbye before exiting the store to meet his mother, who was staring wide-eyed up at a parliament of owls delivering that evening's issue of the Daily Prophet. "Come on, mum." He tugged at her arm. "Colin and Dennis are probably finished at Madam Malkin's!"