― x. toffee-eclairs

⟠

𝓣𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞-𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐬

"RONALD! — UCK! — What in?! — I'm going to...I'M GOING TO CASTRATE YOU!"

Harry watched smoke fume from Edelyn's ears, her gunmetal blue irises flickering flares of brilliant green. He sprung forward to stand between her and Ron, who was now groaning on the floor after a nasty shove and kick to the groin. "He's under a love potion!" he said quickly. 

Edelyn blinked at him, then glanced back down at Ron. "What?" 

"He ate some chocolate cauldrons that Romilda Vane gave me before Christmas," Harry explained. "They must have been spiked with some love potion, and — well..." He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "...you were the first girl he saw."

"A very pretty girl," Ron sighed. 

Edelyn's eyes narrowed. "If it wasn't his birthday," she growled, rubbing her sleeve aggressively over her mouth, "he'd be missing an organ." 

Harry chuckled and cautiously removed Edelyn's wand from her tightening grip. 

Fifteen minutes later, they stood in Slughorn's office, Harry wrestling Ron to keep him from arms reach of Edelyn. 

"Oh, please!!!" Ron whined, struggling against Harry's hold. "Just one more kiss?" He puckered his lips and batted his lashes.

Edelyn's scowl turned murderous. 

"Drink this, boy, and she'll give you a kiss," Slughorn chimed, handing Ron a goblet of clear liquid. 

Ron squealed. He hastily gulped it down, potion dribbling down his chin. He turned to Edelyn and for a moment, beamed with anticipation, but then, very slowly, his grin sagged and vanished. It was replaced by an expression of utmost horror. 

"Lyn — you — I..." Ron stared at her, swallowed thickly, then deflated into a nearby armchair. 

Harry released the breath he had been holding. "Thanks, Professor." 

"Don't mention it, m'boy! Don't mention it. Pick-me-up, that's what he needs." Slughorn chuckled and bustled over to a metal cart topped with various shaped and coloured bottles. "I was meant to give this mead to Dumbledore for Christmas, but...Ah well, he can't miss what he's never had. Why don't we open it now and celebrate Mr Weasley's birthday? And, by the looks of you, Miss Black, you could use some fine spirit as well."

Harry sniggered, which turned into a choked snort when he caught Edelyn's glare. 

Slughorn poured them each a glass of mead and raised his own into the air, "Here's to a very happy birthday, Ron—" 

But Ron, who had not been listening to the toast, had already thrown the mead into his mouth and swallowed it.

Edelyn immediately sensed that something was wrong. Glass shattered and she sprung forward just as Ron collapsed onto the ground. His body seized and foam frothed past his lips.