30

Ethan Junior's POV

"You should've said that back at the restaurant Zenia, instead of right now."

"And embarrass you in front of your brother and my sister? EJ, you know I love you, but marriage is a really huge and serious step, and I think we should take this very slowly."

She rejected my proposal as we walked through the door to our house. I was heartbroken. I saw it going differently in my mind. I wanted her to keep the ring on, and instead of being called 'my girlfriend', I wanted it to be 'my fiancee'.

I loved Zenia, but I couldn't possibly force something onto her that she clearly wasn't ready for.

She handed me back the ring and I put it back into its box. I went upstairs to get undressed and to take a nap.

After two hours had passed, my eyes were still wide open. I was lost in thoughts and mending my own broken heart.

"EJ." I heard her whispered my name as she got into the bed next to me. She rubbed my back gently with her hands. "EJ, please don't be angry. We'll get engaged when the time is right."

"And when would that be?" I growled.

"I think we'll just know."

I turned my body to face her. "I'm not waiting for some promotion or a good news to ask for your hand. That alone should tell you how much I love you. When people love each other, it's ideal that they take the next step."

"I know. But we're so young, EJ. I'm even older than you are."

"By one year. So you're refusing to marry me because of our age and our age difference?"

"No. What I'm trying to say is that it's happening too quickly and too much. How much did that ring even cost?"

"Can you put a price on love?"

"EJ..."

"It was very expensive."  I sat up. "Zenia look, I know it's sudden and very new to you, but I come from a family where affection conquers everything. All my life, I watched my father love my mother more and more everyday, and I couldn't wait to show that to someone. That someone is you."

Her eyes fluttered.

"I'm not going to rush you. If you want to take it slow then that's what we're going to do, but please don't give me any false hope. Don't have me thinking that you're working towards us when you're actually only trying to push me away."

"Can I see the ring one last time?"

I chuckled lightly. I took the ring out the drawer and handed it to her. She opened the box and stared at its beauty.

"ONE MILLION DOLLARS?!" she screamed, alarmed.

Shit! I forgot to remove the price tag at the bottom of the box.

"EJ, you spent a million dollars on a ring?"

"No."

She eyed me.

"Okay... Yes."

"Return it. This is too much!"

"What? Hell no! I'm not going to do that."

"EJ--"

"Zen, one million dollars did not put a dent in my pocket. Baby, you're worth it, and I could afford."

"Well just because you could afford it, doesn't mean that you should be spending money like this."

"I understand that but I'm still not taking it back. It's so beautiful and one of a kind just like you."