Chapter 13

Damon:

The thought of Lily going to the Deathlands made my heart constrict. She's never been away from our home since she moved here heavily pregnant. I don't think I'd be able to let her go. 

"Lily," I paused, trying to collect the words I wanted to say. 

"No, Damon. I won't let them go without me. I've been wanting to go there anyways and this just gives me an excuse to follow through with what I had originally wanted. My only problem is Helena. Would you please watch her? Something happened during her Unlocking Ceremony."

I noticed, for the first time, how scared Lily looked when she spoke about Helena. I frowned. 

"What do you mean?"

Taki had been busy trying to handle the loss of our Assassins and Information Collectors so he hadn't come home. If he had, I'd have the information needed to help assuage Lily's worries. 

She worried at her bottom lip and hugged herself unconsciously. "She did it twice," she mumbled softly. 

"What?! Why in the hell would you allow her to do that," I begun to pace back and forth furiously. It was completely idiotic to allow someone a second Unlocking. Everyone knew it was a taboo. That doesn't mean that everyone believed in it or even cared but it was still something that has been ingrained in our history. 

"I thought it was just some silly rule that was passed down in order to control the populace, not that it was there for a very valid reason."

I ran a hand through my hair but it got caught in some tangles and I had to yank my fingers out of it to get my hand back. 

"What exactly happened?"

"She got a creepy journal that I hid and has raised Markings on her back."

"Raised Markings?" Strange. I've never heard of raised Markings before. 

"They're ... strange... and they look as though the flesh is charred." 

"I'll look at them later but don't think I'm giving up our conversation about you going to the Deathlands."

She shifted slightly and wrapped her arms around her legs while resting her cheek on her right knee. 

"Damon, something inside of me needs to go there. I don't know why but I feel like that is where I'm supposed to go. If I can stay with the boys and protect them along the way then that's better than going alone."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It honestly worried me. My sister had these strange changes happening to her physically and now she was saying that she was 'destined' to go to the most deadly land in Meridia? 

"Just give me time to think about it," I said. 

"Whether you agree or not, I will be going. With or without the boys along."

I could see the stubborn set to her shoulders as she lifted from her huddled position and knew that she was right. She'd leave with or without my help. 

"Fine," I flung my hands up in resignation, "The boys will set off in a few days. Will you be able to leave Helena the way she is right now? You've never been away from her before."

If it was one thing I knew about Lily, it was her extraordinary love and patience for Helena. I watched as sadness and resignation flashed across her face before she stared at me with that same determination. Her red eyes seemed to glow with an inner light as she spoke. 

"My path is the one I'm bound to travel and Helena doesn't want me around her as of right now. She hasn't needed her mother for these past couple of years. No matter how much I wish for my daughter to allow me back in it'll never happen even if I try to force myself on her. Since that's the case, I will go where my heart is calling."

You may go to where your heart is calling but you will be taking my heart with you. I can't leave my people to go with them no matter how much I wish to. There were to many things happening that needed my attention. 

"Make sure to Scrye Call me in case of emergencies."

She nodded her head subtly and I released a sigh before turning to walk out her door but paused in the threshhold. 

I turned my head back to look at her. She seemed completely lost and depressed. 

"I'll send someone over with the medicine I gave you just in case there's a repeat. If this happens again you'll need to seek me out before you and the boys leave in order to get enough to last in your travels."

"If you tell me how to make it then I wouldn't need to bother you for them."

"It's an extensive recipe that was mostly in its trial stage but I'll give you the ingredients anyways. I'm going to go let the boys know."

With that I left her room to head to where the boys were; which happened to be down the hall, whispering furiously to each other. 

"-aked," Leo exclaimed in a whisper as I walked up. I slapped him upside the back of his head and glared at him. 

"Do I need to have your eyes scrubbed with metal bristles," I asked gently with my eyes squinting while giving them a close lipped smile. All three seemed to realize I was close to painting the walls red. 

"No? Pity," I continued on, "Lily has agreed to allow you all to make way to the Deathlands."

Nathaniel fist pumped the air in his excitement while Leonard just gave a lazy smirk. Vincent clenched his fists as some kind of emotion he recently ate resurfaced and he shoved it back down. 

I continued on and my next words deflated Nathaniel's earlier joy, "She will be traveling with you there. Apparently she has 'business' in those lands."

"No way in hell," Nathaniel disagreed vehemently. 

I glared at him, "Do you feel that you have any say in whether my dear sister goes somewhere? Should you not want her company, she will go alone. I'd feel better having you lot further away from her so it would be no skin off my back."

I sneered at the little brats.. The only reason I'd agreed to them traveling together in the first place was because Lily had suggested it but that didn't mean I wanted these filthy perverted hormonal teenaged boys near my clean Lily.

"Now, Now. No need to fight boys," Leonard lazily spoke up from where he was leaning against the wall, "I wouldn't mind having Lily's company. When shall we be leaving?"

I gritted my teeth as I glared at the boy. 

"In a couple days time. She's already getting ready. Make sure you don't get left behind."

With that bit of advice, I turned and left them to their own mutterings. Vincent's eyes kept flashing yellow as his emotions seemed to fluctuate but I'd already gotten used to it. As I walked towards my office I realized that Vincent had followed me. 

I turned and asked, "Is there a reason you're following me?"

He clenched his jaw and anger flashed through his normally placid eyes before they returned to the usual 'clear lake'.

"Lily doesn't know about me... How am I supposed to hide it from her if we are traveling together?"

"Not my concern. Tell her. Don't tell her. That's up to you. I'm merely letting you know that she has taken it upon herself to travel with you heathens in your journey. What happens from there is completely out of my hands. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have business to handle."

I ignored him as I went back to trying to figure out my next move with these damn Elven Bastards. . .

Damn.. I forgot to talk to Lily about those Markings she had hidden on her legs. Sigh. . I also caved in to allowing her to leave without her fighting me.. I'm to soft when it comes to my Lily.

A/N: I decided to release the next update way earlier than scheduled. Why? Because it's getting closer to the point where we will be switching to strictly 3rd person POV and the 'true story' shall begin. I've got 'ants in my pants' kind of lol. Anyways, hope you enjoyed. Surprise! x,x