Chapter 4

Steve knocked on Adeline's door, excited to celebrate her birthday. Adeline opened the door, smiling as she saw Steve, pulling him in for a hug.

"Steve," she greeted, kissing his cheek. "Bucky told me you'd be by." He smiled, holding something behind his back. He walked in before giving her a small sketch pad.

"Happy Birthday, Adeline," he said as she took the sketch pad and opened it to the first page. It was of Adeline and Bucky, a portrait that stopped just below their shoulders. They were smiling and Bucky held her close.

"Oh, Steve," Adeline breathed, a smile pulling on her lips. "They're beautiful."

"Just in case you were wondering how he looks at you when you're not looking," Steve said. Adeline's cheeks turned red, flipping though the other drawings, some of just her, or just Bucky and even some of Steve himself. She pulled Steve in for a tight hug.

"This is the best birthday gift you've ever given me," she said with a smile.

"I'm glad you like it," Steve said, hugging her back.

"Oh," Adeline said, pulling away, "and thank you for helping Buck get those tickets. It means a lot."

"It was no problem," Steve said with a modest shrug. "I wanted you and Bucky to do something special together."

"Have I ever told you how much I love you, Steven Grant Rogers?" She asked, pulling him in for another hug. The rest of the day, Adeline spent talking with Steve.

"Thank you for the amazing birthday, Steve," Adeline said as they returned to her apartment from the park.

"It was fun," he said. "Now go have fun tonight. Do me a favor and dance with Bucky."

"I promise," Adeline said with a smile. She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled before shoving his hands in his pockets, walking back to his apartment. Adeline rushed into her apartment, getting ready for the night.

~*~

Adeline danced in the streets while Bucky watched, his eyes glistening with love.

"You liked it?" Bucky asked as Adeline spun again. Her feet were sore, but she felt lighter than a feather.

"It was amazing!" She exclaimed, grabbing Bucky's hands, spinning him around with her. They both laughed and Adeline intertwined her fingers with his as they walked happily down the busy streets of New York. There was no moon or stars in the sky as the clouds, heavy with rain, covered them. The cool air made Adeline shiver, but she didn't mind. She was with her best friend, high on the music.

"Thank you, Bucky," Adeline said as they walked, seeing if they could catch a taxi to the train station. "This was beyond amazing."

"I'm glad," Bucky responded with a smile. Just then, the sky opened up and rain poured down. Adeline laughed as Bucky pulled her along under an overhanging roof. However, she was already soaked and so was Bucky. His groomed hair was stuck to his forehead and Adeline's once perfectly curled hair was heavy with water.

Bucky laughed, brushing her hair out of her eyes. God, he was so beautiful. His blue eyes were simply stunning and he was right there, in front of Adeline. The 21 years of waiting was threatening to spill. Both Adeline and Bucky could feel it. Bucky held her close and it was intoxicating. This feeling was better than any alcohol Adeline could buy. He began to lean down and Adeline would've let it happen, but there was a harsh honk of a horn.

"Hey! You two need a ride?" The driver asked through the rain. Adeline pulled back, laughing, glancing at the kind driver.

"Yeah, you got room?" Adeline asked.