Chapter 17: No

Sundays are peaceful days. Kage took Mariana out. She begged him all day yesterday to let her go outside the house. She knew it was her house in the end and she could do what she wants but, Kage stayed inside all day as well. He made it his job to watch her every movement.

Now they stand near the lake. Away from civilization. Mariana's face toasts through the frigidness as Kage grasps her hand. He didn't wear as many layers as Mariana. The coldness always being welcomed by him.

They remain silent. Their thoughts distracting them. The past in focus. The ground is covered in frost. Their breaths can be seen. Kage couldn't believe how protective and close he has gotten to Mariana. She's breaking down the year-long winter storm around his heart. He is afraid of what will happen because of this. He's more afraid of losing Mariana to her past rather than him lose to his.

"Mariana," Kage voices deeply.

"Yes," Mariana quietly responds.

"I won't let your past take you."

"I know," Mariana answers with hidden doubt.

The wind blows against them. Mariana looks to the edge of the water and sees a beautiful flower. It was a Hellebore flower floating on a large leaf. She picks the Hellebore up; carefully holding it in the palm of her hand.

"It's so beautiful," Mariana whispers with a smile.

"It is," Kage agrees. "Like you." Mariana lightly blushes at his statement.

"Mariana," Kage breaths out deeply. "I... I don't know what this is?"

"What is what?"

"What is this. Us. You care for me and have me stay with you. I've never had feelings like this. I don't know how to handle them."

Mariana swallows air before responding. "I think I'm falling for you, Kage."

Kage connects eyes with her. "You shouldn't."

Mariana drops her head. "I'm sorry but you're the first person who I've ever felt loved from, not in the family way either."

"I don't know how relationships work."

"And I don't know how a proper one works," Mariana states. "I want to try. For once I want to be loved. I want to know what true love is."

"I don't know how to love."

"I think you're already doing it." Kage intakes a sharp breath at her words.

Kage says nothing else. He walks towards his truck with Mariana following behind. The sound of cars makes them look over to their left. Furrowing his eyebrows in confusion, Kage walks past Mariana. His form tense and imitating. Four cars come into vision and park. Mariana starts to shake as she sees all the people who come out. Estephan and her mother smile as they see her. The rest smirk as they see their boss' runaway fiancè.

Kage could tell who they are. Mariana rushes to his side and tugs on his arm. Signaling they need to leave. Kage doesn't budge. He continues to glare.

"Please," Mariana begs with absolute fear.

"No."

"Amor," His voice sings out loud. Mariana cringes and stays silent. "Look at me."

Hesitantly turning her head, she wills her tears to not fall. Mariana glances at every person. Memories coming back to her. Her mother forcefully smiles at her. She can see the rage and animosity in her eyes.

"Did you miss me?" Estaphan chuckles while Mariana keeps her lips sealed. "No answer? Okay. I want you to be a good girl and listen to me. Now, come over here."

Mariana shakes her head 'no' and tightens her grip on Kage's arm.

"Come here," Estaphan demands.

"No," Mariana slightly shouts, not looking at him.

"I'm being nice and patient. Come here!"

"You'll have to fight me first!" Kage seethes.

Estaphan pulls out his gun and his men follow after. Cars screech to a halt by his truck. His past entering into the mix as well. They do the same. Mariana starts to panic. She doesn't know those people but there's one thing she does know; someone will die if they shoot.

"Mariana-" Estaphan gets cut off.

"Stop saying her name!"

"I suggest you shut it. I won't think twice about pulling this trigger on you."

Kage's features darken. Mariana has never seen this side of him. It frightens her. She lets go of him and backs away as both men yell insult and threats to each other. Her ears ring as a trigger is pulled. Mariana holds in a breath as she falls to the ground, clutching her side.

"Mariana!" Kage screams.

Mariana lays on the cold pavement. Her hand is glowing red. Her layers of clothes soaking up the red substance until it reaches its limits. Blood spill over and wetting the road. Kage scoops her up and rushes to his trucks. Ammunition is being exchanged. His truck taking a few bullets as his rushes out of there.

Mariana falls in and out of consciousness. She knows Kage is speaking to her but she can't process anything. Pain is the only thing filling her sentences. Her breathing becomes rugged. Her eyelids becoming heavier.

"Mariana-"

"Please-"

"Don't-"

"Open-"

"I-"

"I'm sorry."

"Please-"

"NO!"

"You'll be fine. I promise." Mariana smiles.

It's been more than a day and Mariana begins to wake up. She winces at the pain in her side as she moves. She knows where she is at before opening her eyes. The smell gives it away.

"Mariana?" A deep voice gruffs out.

"K-Kage," Mariana croaks out as she stares at him.

Tears run down his face. Mariana is stunned. Her left hand is now held by two instead of one. Kage has his forehead on top of their hands. He's strong enough to hold back his cries.

"I-I... I thought I lost you," Kage chokes out. "I can't lose you."

"I'm here. Please don't cry," Mariana pleads.

Kage nods and sniffles.

"Who were those people?"

Kage instantly knew who she was talking about. "People who were part of my past."

Kage continues as he wipes his uncontrollable tears. "You've been out for more than 24 hours. The doctor said you will be fine. The bullet didn't hit anything important. You'll have to stay here for a few days though."

Mariana nods. She can tell he hasn't slept well. His hair is extremely knotted. He's wearing the clothes from that day. Kage looks rough. Kage trying not to let his face show it but Mariana sees all too well.

"Please go home and take rest."

"No," Kage says stubbornly.

"Please, for me. It'll make me feel better." Kage softs at this.

"I'll be back soon." Mariana watches as he rushes out the hospital room. The only thing she does while he is gone is dwell on what happened. Her heart is heavy. She cries in silence.

"I'm afraid he's going to get hurt because of me."