Chapter 19: Staring

Snowflakes make their way down gracefully. Leaves and grass covered with a thickening layer of frost. Mariana keeps quiet. Emotions, thoughts, and flashbacks consuming. Kadlin drives them to the police station. It's the first time she took a day off in a long time.

"You know I've never seen my brother care so much about anybody else besides his family," Kadlin breaks the silence with a smile. "It so nice to see. He's changing. The family and I are so grateful to you."

"I didn't do much for him though," Mariana mumbles.

"You've done more than you can think. We all see it." Kadlin stares at Mariana as they slow down at the intersection. Mariana returns the gesture. "One day I came home early for lunch and seen Kage inside. He had this intense look to him. I could tell something big was on his mind. I asked him and he said he met someone. Aunt Jean forced him to help them with the groceries."

Mariana laughs remembering that day. "He was very reluctant and grumpy about it."

Kadlin joins in with her own melody then picks up again. "He said she was new. I told scolded him after he admitted to acting cold towards that person. I said he needed to be nicer. When I asked him if she was pretty. He didn't answer and I knew. He kept ranting about you and I knew there was something special about her. When we found out it was you and you lived across the street we were ecstatic and curious. Kage didn't care that much at the time. My brother may not say much and express how he feels but I understand him. I know just by looking at him. We have a strong bond and can communicate without words."

"Did he ever talk about me any other times?" Mariana fiddles with fingers as she asks.

"Yes." Mariana snaps her head up to Kadlin at hearing this. "He told me about the time you drowned. He told me about the time that guy at the restaurant hurt you. As well as the one from the hardware store. The first time he was just angry but the second time he was angry and jealous. I could hear it in his voice."

"Wow," Mariana breaths out.

"Kage also told me how you find our childhood home." Kadlin becomes somber with a far off look before regaining her composure. "He told me how you cooked for him and cared for him. He said he couldn't help but be a little happy at your refusal to his demand for you to leave."

"Mariana?" Kadlin asks after a long pause.

"Yes."

"Please take care of my brother. I know you care about him. He needs someone by his side. He needs somebody to open up his heart. Let him learn how to love as well as yourself."

Mariana inhales a shaky breath. Her wide eyes glossing over in a thin layer. Mariana replays Kadlin's words over and over again. She never truly learned how to love someone and get the same back in return. She still had struggles of loving herself every so often. Mariana realized they both already started to learn how to love, with each other. They just didn't realize it.

"Okay," Mariana whispers.

"Thank you," Kadlin voices with sincerity. "That means so much to me."

Kadlin pulls into the police station. They were there to report Silvana and give more details on Estephan. Both women grab their belongs and exit the car, Snow softly sticking to their loose hair. Kadlin smirks as she is her sibling already standing in the middle of the parking lot waiting.

"Look who's here," Kadlin teases Mariana, making her blush and look down.

"Hi, little brother," Kadlin greets and hugs.

They stand and say nothing. Kadlin is smiling, Mariana is looking at the rocks, and Kage is staring at Mariana. Kage looks over at his sister. Signaling her to go inside with his eyes. Kadlin understands his gesture and walks away. She knows he means he wants alone time with Mariana and talks with her.