cxiv.

Jimin ended up sleeping with Hobi in Tae's bed that night, giving up his (Jungkook's) bed for Hyungwon and letting Jooheon sleep on the couch.

Yoongi kept Jin's bed to himself, but he waited for the others to fall asleep before he crept out of the bedroom and poked at the figure lying down on the couch.

"I'm not asleep," Jooheon mumbled. "You don't have to jab me so hard."

Yoongi just shrugged and sat down on the floor in front of him. "What were you talking about with Jimin for so long?"

Jooheon squinted at Yoongi. "Relax, it wasn't anything bad."

"Yeah, well, Jimin's my brother and I want to know. Why are you even friends with him? You're not even in the same grade."

Jooheon sighed before sitting up, rubbing his head. "He's in the same grade as Hyungwon so I'd see him sometimes when I was picking Wonnie up from school."

Yoongi tried to read for any dishonesty in Jooheon's face, but he couldn't find any. "If you have some sick idea of fun that involves tormenting my brother-"

"Yoongi. Relax. I don't," Jooheon said, blinking wearily. "I swear. I'm friends with Jimin because he's a sweet kid and he happens to be friends with Hyungwon and coincidentally happened to be Jin's younger brother. I'm not going to tease him or bully him or make fun of him, okay?"

Yoongi stared at Jooheon for a few more seconds before nodding slowly. "Fine. All right. But if I hear anything-"

"Then it's a lie, because I wouldn't do something like that, not to Jimin, not to anyone."

Yoongi nodded before getting back up and retreating to his bedroom, but Jooheon's words stopped him.

"Why are you so concerned?"

Yoongi turned slightly to stare at Jooheon. "Because it's happened before. And the older Jimin gets, the better he gets at bottling his emotions inside. And it's not like we really have Dad anymore. I'm the oldest of the three of us, so I'm in charge of making sure the other two are safe and happy. If you were friends with Hobi, I'd probably interrogate you all the same. I'm serious, Jooheon. If you mess with Jimin or Hobi, I'll hurt you."

"Save your punches for someone else then," Jooheon said, laying back down. "I'm on your side."

Yoongi nodded before going back to bed and staring at the ceiling. It was a lot of responsibility, being the oldest. He kind of knew what Jin had felt growing up. Although he probably wasn't doing as good of a job as Jin because he knew that Jimin and Hobi were still going through a lot of shit, but it was his job to try to regulate that.

He sighed before closing his eyes.

He wondered if he'd ever have someone to watch out for him.

***

Namjoon and Lisa had returned an hour after the kids had fallen asleep, and when the doorbell rang at 9:00 AM, Namjoon groaned before going to answer it.

"Hey, Minhyuk," Namjoon said, rubbing his eyes.

"Namjoon," Minhyuk said with a nod, smiling. "Just came to pick up my sons."

"Ah, one second," Namjoon said before turning back to the living room. I really hope they're still here... "Hyungwon? Jooheon? Your dad's here," he called out, and a few seconds later, he saw Hyungwon coming out of the kids' bedroom, Jimin following closely behind him and slipping Hyungwon's backpack over Hyungwon's shoulders.

Jooheon got up from the couch, having packed everything the previous night.

Yoongi came out of the bedroom to watch them go, and he locked eyes with Jooheon for a second before Jooheon nodded at him without smiling, acknowledge the promise they kept to keep the others safe. Then Jooheon went behind Hyungwon and messed up his hair before giving him a gentle push toward the door.