CC7 - Part 7

The stadium was packed and the chanting from the crowd always got me riled up. No matter how many times I was out on the field, the energy from our fans was incredible. We were playing against Washington Spirit and so far the game was tied 0-0. But were just half an hour into the game so there was no reason to panic. We had created some chances and I had a good feeling the next one would be right.

I won the ball in our own half and immediately saw Camila running down the left side in anticipation. It was instinctual almost but I knew where she would go. So I sent a long ball that I knew only the incredibly fast left-footed player could get. I anticipated next and ran towards the goal but more centrally. It was unbelievable but the youngest in the team managed to get the ball, looked up and saw me running. Her pass was perfectly timed and all I needed to do was slot in. I did and I heard the entire stadium going nuts.

There was no denying anymore that we played well together. Our relationship off the pitch was improving as well and I was relieved to be even more of an asset to the team, now that Camila was here. I jogged over to her after the goal and hugged her quickly - nothing too touchy but I didn’t want to be suspicious anymore and we were doing fine. The emotional talk in Chicago had broken down some walls. We were able to be friendly and cordial without yelling at each other. It wasn’t like we were friends but maybe we would get there.

That first goal was just the beginning, though. The next time I broke free from my opponent, I saw Camila releasing herself from her own defender and passed her the ball so that she was just onside. It was only her against the keeper and she had no problem hitting the back of the net: 2-0. This time, the brown-eyed one came over to me and hugged me to thank me for the assist. She was smiling a lot wider now and our teammates motivated us to keep going.

We did. What followed could only be described as my best game for the Boston Breakers this far. Camila and I played like maniacs; dancing around every defender, sidestepping all over the field, using our perfected one-two’s to almost humiliate the other team because they were powerless against our performances today. I managed to score two more goals. One was a header after Camila had sent in an immaculate cross and the last one was basically a thunderbolt from 20 yards in stoppage time to end the game at 4-0.

The stadium was at our feet and I was definitely on a high when I left the field to do some interviews. I tried being objective and calm but I couldn’t wipe that stupid grin of my face. Of course I thanked all of my teammates and especially Camila who had assisted all three goals of mine. It took longer than usual for me because I signed some autographs for the fans after being done with the reporters. That way, most of my teammates had left the locker room already when I came in. Actually, there was only one teammate left: Camila.

She was packing her bag and noticed me coming in. To my surprise, she flashed that perfect smile of hers and spoke up.

“You played one hell of a game out there”, she complimented and I took a deep breath but sat down on the bench.

“I couldn’t have done it without you”, I gave back truthfully and saw her smile softening. “This was my first hattrick and you gave me every assist. I think that speaks volumes on how amazing you played as well.”

“Whenever I’m out there, I still can’t believe that’s my life”, she revealed and I watched her more intently. “I mean, just a few weeks ago, I wasn’t sure how I would pay for my rent because I wasn’t making enough money at the diner. And now I’m doing what I love and can provide for Lara and I without having to worry. Sometimes I’m scared that I’m going to wake up and it was all just a dream.”

“I can guarantee you it’s not a dream”, I responded also smiling gently at her. “I know I was kind of hard on you when you first joined the team but I’m really glad you did.”