Chapter 23: Broken End

"Ms. Malavé, I'm truly sorry," Dr. Solberg apologizes for the loss.

"You're lying," Mariana whispers. "Tell me you're lying!"

"Bring it back! Bring it back!" Mariana pounds her fists on Kage's chest with tears streaming down her face. "Please. Tell them to bring our baby back."

Kage tightly holds Mariana between his arms. He swallows down a wave of emotions. His family, the doctor, and the nurse keep quiet, watching his love breakdown. Kage drops his head next to hers and mumbles consoling words in her ear.

Mariana has no restraint left on her pain. She releases it and allows herself to be washed with unbearable emotions. Mariana lets her body go limp against her love. Fire hydrants bursting of water.

Mariana stands in front of the body of water. She looks out into the distance lost in her thoughts. Kage remained standing a couple of feet behind her. He knew she needed space.

"Kage," Mariana whispers.

Kage straightens his posture after seeing her mouth move. He couldn't hear and waits to see if she speaks again but louder this time.

"Kage," Mariana mumbles and glances back at him.

Kage takes a couple of long strides forward and hugs Mariana from the back. A tender kiss is pressed against the side of her head. The movement of water clogs their ears. Almost like a defying silence.

"I don't know how to feel anymore. I don't know what to do," Mariana admits.

"We figure everything out together," Kage's deep voice resonates and holds reassurance.

Mariana sighs and tries to clear her mind once more. The embrace tightens and the two snuggle further into one another. Sweet and light kisses are given not just to give comfort but to assure the other is still there.

"I'm sorry," Mariana apologizes with deep guilt.

"You have nothing to apologize for."

"I-"

"No," Kage demands. "You'll never know how much you mean to mean. You'll never see how much you've changed me. I was caged in my past and now I have finally found the key to helping me escape. I'll fight before I let you go. I'm your Viking and you're my treasure. I'm in too deep to continue without you... I love you, Mariana."

Mariana smiles as droplets of tears fall and says, "I love you too, Kage."

A Hellebore flower appears. The same one from last time. Though it's decaying and a petal falls off. Mariana sees it and looks at it in confusion. Kage notices too. Both decide to put it at the end of the list of worries for now. Letting thoughts consume them as the shades of blue darken. The day ends with a chaste kiss and broken smiles.

Check out "HER VIKING 2"! <3