Prologue

It was safe to say that when Alex had died, it was definitely her fault.

Of course, it was not like she had asked to die, but it didn't change the fact that she died while slipping on a stress ball she had left on the floor, which caused her to hit the back of her head on the sharp corner of her desk.

Then everything went dark until she then suddenly found herself floating away from her dead body towards someplace unknown.

She was strangely calm throughout the whole process, even when she found herself alone in what seems to be the middle of space. Like, outer space. Earth is not even in seeing-distance from where she is at, and far away galaxies, stars, and planets seem to move around her as she stands -on what, she doesn't know- in place.

Alex was pretty content just watching the galaxies, stars, and other celestial objects float by until a voice from pretty much everywhere made itself known.

【Um... Hello Host.】

Alex blinks in surprise but does not start looking around, knowing that she would not be able to attach a body to the voice that she has heard. She finds it rather strange that despite the large space they are in, the voice does not echo like she expected it to. And the tenor in its tone is definitely a surprise as well, along with how human it sounds.

"Sooo... Is this the part where you tell me that I have to travel through different worlds doing a series of tasks in each world in order to get my wish granted or something like that?" Alex questions, getting right down to business as she crosses her arms in contemplation.

【...】Alex can practically feel the other's astonishment, making her shrug in response to his/her silence.

"I've read a lot of light novels." She had a friend in New Orleans who would send her links to whatever light novels her friend is interested in every other week. Alex found them amusing so she would often read them in her spare time.

【S-So, is Host aware that you have died?】

"Considering the fact that I had died while slipping on the stress ball that I had forgotten to put up, yeah," Alex responses with a wry grin, though she is not sure whether the System can see it in the first place.

【And Host is... okay with that?】

"What can I do about it? I died," Alex says in a deadpan manner. If she could see the System, then she could pretty much imagine it blushing at this point. "So, what's up? Why are you reaching out to me?" Of all people-is left unsaid at the end of her sentence. She knows that she is not exactly a good person. She just did whatever the hell she wanted until her sudden end, so she's not exactly sure what qualification she has to be chosen for whatever grand adventure God or whoever has in store for her. Or maybe this is more of a punishment, which makes a lot more sense than the former.

【Well, that's because Host has the qualifications to be reincarnated.】

Alex stares blankly into space (literally) as she absorbs what the system has said.

Wait, what? She, of all people, has the qualifications to be reincarnated? She's pretty sure she's the last person that should be reincarnated if she has to be honest.

【But while Host is qualified, there has been a large surplus of souls recently that also fit the criteria for reincarnation. In order to prevent too much overcrowding in the living world, the higher-ups decided that it would be best to test souls with a series of tasks and utilizing a point system in order to determine whether a soul is eligible for reincarnation.】

...This sounds too much like job recruitment for Alex's taste.

"What about if I don't want to do the tasks? What if I would like to go straight to the afterlife?"