thirteen.

You fight well, baby girl

But your knuckles bruise deep

And his are built like brass.

Now, pick up your gun

And do what you do best.

Tony Stark watches as his best friend is slowly moved through the MRI machine. James Rhodes' expression is one that is fighting the fear and dread of what he knows is the outcome of his fall. He's paralyzed. Vision doesn't move from his stiff position as he stares through the glass window of the viewing room, feeling the guilt of so many things. Tony paces around behind him and his shaking hands are still clenched at his sides.

Tony's voice is sharp and low as he juts his chin towards him, "How did this happen?"

Vision whispers back, "I became distracted."

Tony gives a look that is both vehement and disbelieving, "I didn't think that was possible."

"Neither did I." Vision replies quietly, finally looking over at the man.

Tony stares at him for a moment longer before swiftly looking away, letting out a worried sigh. As Vision still watches Rhodey, Tony steps off behind him and a small distraught look shines in his eyes. A redhead appears out of the corner of his eye and he barely turns to see Natasha standing in the doorway. A look of apologetic caution lines the edges and curves of the woman's face. She doesn't dare to breathe even as her lips are pulled while she stares at the man she's called her friend for so many years now.

Natasha didn't mean for this to happen.

He has to know she didn't mean for any of it to happen.

But too much came into play and she was no match for it.

None of them were any match for it.

Tony's brown eyes fight with that friendship now; he feels only hurt and betrayal and a quiet rage as he stares back at her.

No words can be spoken, no apology or excuse

No words can be spoken, no apology or excuse. Even if she didn't want to go up against him, the truth is that Natasha did. She made a call and he was on the other side of it. And the woman who has been spinning lies her whole life has to face the truth this time.

"The doctors say he shattered L4 through S1. Extreme laceration to the spinal cord. Probably looking at some form of paralysis."

The two friends stand side-by-side not an hour later, looking over the deep green grass that covers the expanse of the Avengers Facility. A line of trees make up a forest at the edge of the yard and the dark green creates an oncoming sense of darkness that Natasha cannot resolve within herself. Worry has pitted itself within her heart and there's no escaping it. Her friends have been torn apart and she has never been the one to mend those kind of broken bonds. Her child is out there and in the line of fire, and there's still absolutely nothing she can do to spare her from it. For a woman who can do so much, Natasha can't help but feel this sickening sense of uselessness now.