05

05 | the break of dawn

Kaylie awoke abruptly, beads of sweat clinging onto her forehead

Kaylie awoke abruptly, beads of sweat clinging onto her forehead. The nightmares from the accident continued to taunt her dreams, mocking her even in slumber.

She was in her bed, not where she had been when she fell asleep. Kaylie looked around, past the clock that read 6:00 and at the open door of her bedroom. Snoring loudly on the couch was none other than Kevin.

Seeing him, she found herself smiling. Kevin had been in her dream too that night. But it had been a pleasant dream; of him clutching her face gingerly and planting a kiss between her eyes.

My memories?

Pulling the sheets from her body, Kaylie sat by the foot of her bed. As she calmed herself, her eyes adjusted to the sleeping figure on the couch. Kevin.

I loved him?

I love him?

Kaylie wasn't sure. But as she stared at him, his ruffled hair gently stroking his face and his chest rising and falling in a slow rhythm, she couldn't help but wonder.

If I loved him once I can love him again right?

--

Deciding she needed some fresh air, Kaylie wrote a note telling Kevin she would take a walk at the park across her apartment. It was 6:45, and some Parisians were around having their morning jog.

She quietly slipped out of the apartment and headed downstairs. The morning air that greeted her put a wide smile across her face. Her surroundings were unfamiliar, but she instantly fell in love with it.

Before her stood the park, while to her left and right were rows of shops, cafes and other services. She was about to proceed when the scent of freshly baked bread filled her nose, stopping her in her tracks.

Her head snapped to the left, where she was certain the smell was coming from. She immediately made a beeline for the bakery which sat between a barber and a flower shop.

From the outside, the quaint and cozy looking bakery looked to be preparing baguettes. She watched the bakers carefully knead the dough with their hands as the door to the bakery opened.

Someone exited the bakery, much to Kaylie's disinterest. But the voice that followed did. "Hey, it's you," there was a charming smile across his lips as he spoke. "Julian," she laughed, remembering his name instantly.

"Fancy seeing you here," she laughed. "I mean," he held up the two paper bags in his hand, "fresh baguettes are unparalleled."

Kaylie was surprised. Julian didn't look like the kind of guy who would be one of the first in line to buy baguette in the morning. "What about you?" He asked in turn. She shrugged, "just thought I'd get some morning air today."

She looked at him, and he tilted his head. "Something on your mind this morning?" He asked without hesitation. It was as if he could read her effortlessly. Kaylie laughed timidly, wrapping her arms around herself.

"A lot of things."

Or rather, the lack of things in my mind.

There was a moment of silence between them, before Julian spoke. "If it makes you feel better," he held out one of the bags, "have one." For the second time that morning, Kaylie was taken aback. "No it's fine! Thank you," she replied in a panic.

"No! Please have it!" He insisted. Without warning, he reached for her and gently clasped it between her hands. He shot her a smile, "if there isn't anything I can do to make you feel better, maybe this loaf of bread can."

She found herself laughing at his statement, which Julian had intended for anyway. "You're something else," she quipped. "Thank you. Really," Kaylie smiled shyly at him.

Julian nodded, that charming smile of his still plastered across his face. "Feel better okay?" He said. "I'm Kaylie. By the way," she quickly revealed, unsure if he was even curious.

He chuckled, "I had been wondering for the longest time."

Kaylie could feel the heat rising to her cheeks which she hoped against hope he wouldn't notice. "Well, I should get going," she eventually said. "I'll see you around!"

With that she flashed him a sweet smile before turning on her heel and heading back to her apartment building. Julian innocently watched her go and chuckled to himself as he turned to walk back to his apartment.

I like that girl.

--

A/N: HELLO GUYS! Just wanted to say thank you so so so so much for being so patient with me despite my horrible updating frequency. Thank you always for you all your support 😭💕 Love you guyssssss to the moon and back ♡